Looking for brewery recommendations in Oregon and Washington State

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSuesBrews

Reaction score
Hi HBTers. We are a few Aussies going on a road trip through Washington and Oregon - we are looking for some recommendations of great breweries to stop off at on our travels. It does not have to be in Seattle or Portland (although they are also welcome) - we are looking for some country breweries as well. We'd also welcome any recommendations for good coffee. Grateful if you can tell us why particular breweries are worth visiting or have "that certain something" that others done. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Rogue in Newport, OR on the coast. There are lots in Bend, OR: Boneyard, Deschutes, Cascade Lakes, 10 Barrel...more

Portland: Bridgeport, HUB, Cascade Brewing (amazing sours), Lucky Labrador, Widmer, Laurelwood...that's just a few.

Hood River, OR (gorgeous 1 hr drive from Portland up the Columbia Gorge-see Multnomah Falls, have lunch at the brewery): Full Sail, Double Mountain

Some of my favorites....

Seattle Area: Reuben's Brews, Stoup, Naked City and Fremont

Portland Area: Hair of the Dog, Gigantic, Crux, Upright, and Amnesia

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You will have no problems finding good coffee :) You will find an espresso stand every 1000 feet in pretty much every direction.. Boundary Bay Brewery in Bellingham, WA is great if you plan on coming that far north.

You will have no problems finding good coffee :) You will find an espresso stand every 1000 feet in pretty much every direction.. Boundary Bay Brewery in Bellingham, WA is great if you plan on coming that far north.

I find Kulshan and Chuckanut Brewery have better beers than Boundary Bay in Bellingham; just my opinion...

I find Kulshan and Chuckanut Brewery have better beers than Boundary Bay in Bellingham; just my opinion...

I think boundary bay is more of the complete package though, great food. Their harvest salad is amazing. I also second what the other guy said about Fremont, Reuben's brews, and naked city.. Those are definitely my three favorite places in Seattle

Oh yea, and it was mentioned before... But I highly recommend visiting bend! Deschutes is a good tour to go on and there are many excellent breweries in the bend ale trail. Crux makes some seriously rad beer

Oh yea, and it was mentioned before... But I highly recommend visiting bend! Deschutes is a good tour to go on and there are many excellent breweries in the bend ale trail. Crux makes some seriously rad beer

Bend also has Boneyard Brewing, who I would argue make the best IPA and IIPA in the pacific northwest
There's also Worthy Brewing there which I put consider to be top-tier in quality
Good Life Brewing is another one in Bend that I would go so far as to call fantastic

I have a contentious statement to state

OR breweries > WA breweries

in general

There's great ones up there, but in general I would say theyre a bit behind Oregon

Ditto for Chuckanut Brewery if in Bellingham WA. Love their German style pilsner...

Corvallis OR has a few breweries, a couple I think are great. Sky High (which also makes a great pils, would love to taste test vs Chuckanut) and Block 15 (great American Pale Ale). Corvallis is a great smallish town (about 50,000), very cozy... Also lots of good coffee going on.

Albany OR has a couple. Calapooia Brewing - I like their brown ale really well.

For "small town" breweries, just out of Newport (someone already mentioned Rogue - great brewery) Toledo OR, 10 miles east. They had a nice little brewery / BBQ joint. Really liked their IPA. I prefer good balance. The brewer says he seeks traditional style, just a little bigger than a pale, to make the voyage to India.

And agree Bend is a great beer town. Very impressed with 10 Barrel Brewing.

I'm here to help out with Oregon a bit with more detail.

To comment on other's recommendations: I would stay away from Rogue and Lucky Lab, they are kinda boring and not on top of their game - especially Rogue's Newport headquarters. Amnesia is closed and moved to suburban washington. Crux is in bend not portland.

Note: In any of these places there are amazing bottle shops and beer bars, I'm going to exclude those - they are easy to find on Yelp. A great strategy would be to go to Bailey's Taproom , or Apex, or Saraveza, try some beers and help that guide you to a brewery.

Coffee:
Good coffee is all around but there's lots of mediocre "espresso carts". In Portland I'd go for Coava, Heart, or Barista. They are great. So are the smaller places like Courier or Fresh Pot, but do some research here if you are serious about coffee. Barista has 3 different roasters on at all times, and 2 of their locations have beer on tap too. They are super friendly and can point you in the right direction.

One of the best "Country" places is Hood River, OR, very beautiful, close to Mt. Hood. Worth spending a night here. Amazing scenery in the columbia river gorge:

• Pfreim family brewers (great american ales, killer belgian style beers too, very friendly and great food).
  • Double Mountain - similar beer profile to pfreim: awesome hoppy american beers, fun belgians, and krieks with cherries they grow themselves. Also has amazing pizza and great live music. This place is the social hub of hood river.
  • Logsdon Farmhouse Ales - 25 yr brewing vet (he founded Wyeast labs at the same farmhouse). Beautiful farmhouse setting, great tasting of rare and gold medal winning beers. Just a tasting room, but cool tour of a very small brewery. Peche n' brett is a gold medal winner and it's on tap here as part of the tasting. Delicious Kriek, flemish red, saison, and saison brett as well.
  • Solera - Amazing setting looking at mt. hood and an old red farmhouse with an orchard. Table sours, krieks, brett beers, and american ales. Very cool.
  • Others here: Full Sail, Everybody's Brewing (across the river), Backwoods is nearby too. Lots of wineries here too with tasting rooms.

The highest density of breweries is definitely in Bend. There are too many to mention but these are the best. You need to stay in Bend at least one night - they are killing it in the beer scene and the natural scenery around is amazing (Mt. Bachelor, lava fields, volcano craters, rivers, forests, rock climbing):

• Boneyard - punk rock brewery. Best go-to IPA around (Boneyard RPM IPA). Funky small tasting room (no pub). Awesome place.
  • Crux - great beers american and belgian styles. Beautiful fermenters, open fermentation as well, a "hop room" that smells amazing. Great view of the mountain on a sunny day and awesome sunset viewing spot.
  • 10 Barrel - The busiest place in Bend, the social hub. Fire pit outside, a bar that bridges to the outside, best brewery food in town and a nice line up of beers including some berliner weisse derivates, a very solid IPA, and some stuff that's always rotating in.
  • Ale Apothecary - Appointment only but very worth it. Paul mashes ferments and blends exclusively in wooden barrels at his forest home along tumalo creek. He even has a Sahti beer that he mashes in a spruce log. One of a kind operation and he is a super friendly guy that would love to talk you through it all and share some of his exquisite rare beer.

My home town, Portland, has 70+ breweries. All of them have redeeming qualities but these are the ones that I think stand out for the international traveler:
  • Widmer It's big, it's corporate, but it's a Portland original and just had their 30yr anniversary, revamping their pub and adding more taps. Good place to get a sampler tray. This would be my choice of the two portland old school places (the other one being bridgeport). Their alt and new upheaval ipa are very nice.
  • Commons They just have a tasting room but it's right in the brewery and all their beer is excellently crafted. Focus on flemish and belgian styles, with some american influence. Fun place.
  • Gigantic A shining and great example of a "typical portland brewery" - funky, small, not very many taps, not known outside of Portland, but Gigantic is a cut above. Their IPA has quickly become a standard that other bars wish they could keep on tap. Every beer they make is stand out.
  • Cascade Barrel House "The house of sour" . They have some standard american ales, but they have more sour beers on tap than anywhere in the world. and they make them all. Two beers are always flowing right from the barrel. Great place, great food too.
  • Breakside Milwaukie Taproom The less well known barrel house for breakside is out in the suburb Milwaukie and has over 21 of their beers on tap that push boundaries with aging, exotic ingredients, and ramped up hop/malt bills.
  • Deschutes Portland Pub This brewery is headquartered in Bend, but their Portland Pub is their best in my opinion. They host an experimental brewery here, have a beautiful pub, and it's in the heart of the Pearl District. Great snacks and some interesting food. The experimental beers on the left on the inside of the beer menu are the way to go.
  • Other portland suggestions: Laurelwood, StormBreaker, Base Camp, Hair of the Dog, Hopworks, Lompoc

Other small towns with great breweries:
  • Astoria - Fort George Brewing - one of the favorites statewide. You can get their beers in cans while you are in town, and I highly recommend you do. Try to find Vortex on tap in Portland somewhere.
  • Corvallis - Block 15, Flat Tail, Sky High
  • Eugene - Oakshire, Ninkasi, Falling Sky, Hop Valley

Hi HBTers. We are a few Aussies going on a road trip through Washington and Oregon - we are looking for some recommendations of great breweries to stop off at on our travels.
It might be helpful to post a bit more about what beer styles you enjoy or would like to sample. There is a wide variety of brewing in the region and it would suck to set up up with the premier IPA brewers if you only enjoy light lagers.

Anything else you want to see while you are here? Hop farms (the Yakima valley produces 75% of US grown hops, probably 20% more are in the Willamette Valley), mountains, beaches, temperate rain forests, art museums, naval ships, orchards, etc. Do you like solitude or urban night life? Looking for fine dining, neighborhood pubs, ethnic food?

I'll second the recommendation for Reuban's Brews in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle, you could easily spend a day tasting around the neighborhood. If you would like an excuse to go on a ferry ride I'm a fan of Sound Brewery in Paulsbo, WA. Dick's Beer is about half way between Seattle and Portland and could possibly be a lunch stop. If you have the time for the drive visiting Bend, OR would defiantly be worthwhile.

There's also a very significant wine industry in the region that may be of interest. The Willamette Valley (South from Portland to Eugene) has well regarded Pinot vinyards. The Seattle suburb of Woodinville has nearly a hundred wineries that generally are sourcing grapes from Eastern Washington which also has many wineries and vineyards producing a wide variety of grapes.

Both Portland and Seattle are large enough cities to have serious traffic that can make picking lodging near the neighborhoods you want to visit worthwhile. I'm sure folks here will be happy to help plan your trip if you can furnish more details, even just basics like the time of year and duration.

All - thank you so much for these recommendations. Many of you have gone to a lot of trouble and spent a lot of time sharing this information - for that we are very grateful. We will definitely visit a few in Seattle and Portland as well as visit Mt Hood, Astoria, Eugene and now Bent (thanks to this post). We love beer, any type of beer,
and hope to work out way through as may breweries and styles as we can. I'll post back with a trip report but again HBT has demonstrated what a friendly and passionate beer loving community they are. I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to this trip and seeing beautiful Washington and Oregon. Cheers

The brewery in Newport is famous but kind of over rated.

If you're in Eugene/Springfield, check out Ninkasi, Hop Valley, Falling Sky, and Oakshire.

There are many others that are new and/or kind of mass production: (2) McMennamin's locations, Steelhead, Rogue Ales, etc.

The best place to eat in the area is Bier Stein: http://www.thebierstein.com
Awesome local and one-off exotic brews on tap. Good sandwiches and service.

I have no affiliation with any of the above establishments, but I have enjoyed them all.

Enjoy,

In Eugene: Falling Sky- lots of interesting, varied beers. Different takes on classics. Plus, an old school video arcade that is a bar across the street. While in Eugene, The Bier Stein is worth a visit for an extensive tap list.
In Corvallis: Block 15, and their beer restaurant The Caves next door. Well crafted beers, different styles like farmhouse and sours.
In Portland: Cascade Barrel House- generally a dozen world class sour beers on tap at any one time. Hair of the Dog- known for their strong bottle conditioned beers, but their brewpub has lots of beers on tap that are never bottled. Their mild is a great beer. Hopworks Urban Brewery- great example of NW and Oregon style beer, good pub food, and done with an organic and ecologically friendly bent. The Commons- homebrewer made it big going from nano brewery to a full on brewery with a tasting room. No food, but great, mostly Belgian style, beers. Breakside Brewpub in North Portland- better than their tasting room in Milwaukie and excellent food. A lot of their beers feature unusual, culinary, ingredients. Also, Deschutes brew pub in NW Portland is good, and features tons of one-off beers that will never be bottled and distributed nationally like their core line up.
In Hood River: Double Mountain- low key, casual vibe, great variety of beers including some sours and Belgian style beers with pizza. Pfriem- awesome BDSA, great brewery with a bias toward Belgian style beers. Logsdon and Solera are outside of Hood River and probably worth a visit if you have some time because they both make some interesting beers, including Saisons and sours. If Solera has Pretzel Logic on tap pay anything to get some of that amazing beer that tastes exactly like a pretzel.
In general, you can find great IPA anywhere in the Pacific NW. Boneyard ranks among the best, but there are also some great ones from Laurelwood and Ninkasi, among others.
While you are visiting, avoid McMennamin's brewpubs unless you are only going to see a restored historic building, their beer is mediocre, their food average, and their service sucks. Many a tourist has fallen for them and wished they hadn't when they check out other places.
I hope you enjoy your visit to Beervana. Cheers :mug:

All - thank you so much for these recommendations. Many of you have gone to a lot of trouble and spent a lot of time sharing this information - for that we are very grateful. We will definitely visit a few in Seattle and Portland as well as visit Mt Hood, Astoria, Eugene and now Bent (thanks to this post). We love beer, any type of beer,
and hope to work out way through as may breweries and styles as we can. I'll post back with a trip report but again HBT has demonstrated what a friendly and passionate beer loving community they are. I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to this trip and seeing beautiful Washington and Oregon. Cheers

Hey Mama Sue - How long are you visiting and when are you coming? Festival season is about upon us and there are many dozens of festivals about to happen.

Hi. We are going next week for 9 days. I'm now officially christening this trip "Beervana".

If you can hit up Pelican Brewery in Pacific City, they just won small brewer of the year at World Cup. And if you want small town go to Barley Brown's in Baker City, they won 5 medals and took brewery of the year at GABF. Hope your trip is Awesome!

If by some some chance you end up towards eastern Washington there are some great ones over here too. Iron Horse in Ellensburg, Atomic Ales and Ice Harbor in Kennewick/Richland, Spokane- Budge Bros, Iron Goat, No-Li, Twelve Strings (C#7#5 IPA is awesome), Hopped Up, Ramblin Road, River City, Perry Street. All of these have small taprooms but there is just something about the environment that makes them great. Great people, brewers and beer in every one of them. Quite a ways off from Seattle area but great stops for anyone who ventures over to this side.

Eugene has a fermentation district. Several great breweries, wineries, a distillery, cidery, meadery and even a homebrew shop within a few blocks of each other.

Eugene has a fermentation district. Several great breweries, wineries, a distillery, cidery, meadery and even a homebrew shop within a few blocks of each other.

Denny, which homebrew shop? The "fermentation district" is in the Whittaker neighborhood, isn't it? Falling Sky is much more downtown... or do you prefer somewhere else?

There are two LHBS's in Eugene.

Falling sky and the Home Fermentor Center. Lots of brewers split their purchases between them to support them both.

Denny, which homebrew shop? The "fermentation district" is in the Whittaker neighborhood, isn't it? Falling Sky is much more downtown... or do you prefer somewhere else?

Home Fermenter Center. It's been my go to for over 15 years.

Hi everyone. I had a great trip and went to a lot of the places recommended here. I'll write a full report on the weekend when I've got a bit more time but thanks for all the great advice. 🍺🍺

Latest posts

Back