• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for Bench Capper (26mm standard)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to get a bench capper cheap. Standard 26mm size.
Shipping would probably kill the deal.
Local pickup?
In the Sacramento CA area (95820).

Was hoping for like $20.

Wishful thinking but figured couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks all!!

:bott:

Hop on shopgoodwill.com and look for geartop cappers from the 30's-40s, they are super easy to restore, I picked up two for about $25 shipped, this is the last capper I'll ever need and I gave the other one to a brewing buddy.

Edit: Everedy is the brand of capper I got, after about 2 hours with a wire brush and a bit of grease, its working like new. Added a rubber washer in the bell to pop off after capping, and I use a couple cardboard beer coasters as padding under the bottles, and it works 100x better than my wing capper.

Last edited:
Hop on shopgoodwill.com and look for geartop cappers from the 30's-40s, they are super easy to restore, I picked up two for about $25 shipped, this is the last capper I'll ever need and I gave the other one to a brewing buddy.

Wow... never even knew about their website. Looks kinda like ebay bidding. There are some classic looking models!
Thanks.

This is the kind you want, rack and pinion gearing and solid steel mechanism in a cast iron frame. It will outlive you. The lot I purchased also included one of the stamped steel lever type cappers. It worked well too, I just like the solid cast iron construction of the gear-top model. It'll cap everything from wine bottles down to lagunitas shorties. For short bottles I use a hockey puck to raise up the bottles, its more stable and has a bit of cushion.

In this case you have an advantage; nobody knows the true value of these cappers and millions were sold as "soda cappers" during prohibition. Seriously, don't spend more than $20 shipped.

s-l400.jpg

Also I want to add, the standard capping size hasn't changed in almost a century. I've capped probably 400 bottles with my ancient everedy, and had zero problems. My all-metal italian wing capper wasn't as reliable and died after about 1,000 bottles.

Ever come down by Tracy? I have a classic steel unit with gears. I switched to kegs and flip tops. Your price is fine with me. It’s taking up space.

I have a bench capper collecting dust in my garage. I’m in Elk Grove. Willing to swap for a bottle or 2 of whatever you have. PM if interest.

@mdscole i apologize- i missed your reply!
@teesherv thanks.

I ended up going with a cheaper pos model. I see where you get what you pay for. But i needed to cap some funky 750ml swing tops for Christmas gifts

Thanks to you all!

Back