Looking for All Extract Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VieuxSinge

Reaction score
Hello,

I am relatively new to this game, and was hoping to make my next batch a porter. Does anyone have a good all extract recipe for a porter?

Thanks!

4 lb pale LME
2 lb amber DME
1 lb dark DME

Hops
.5 oz Horizon 60 min
0.75 oz Willamette 40 min
0.5 oz Willamette 20 min

2 viles Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

optional: 3 lb. honey at the end of the boil

ferment at 68*F for 3-4 weeks

prime with 3 oz. corn sugar.

this stems from a porter recipe that had to be altered a bit due to the LHB inventory on brew day. i think it still fits as a porter. its not too heavy, pretty dark, has a nice roasted/choco taste with a sweet hint of vanilla.

.5 lb black patent malt
.5 lb munton's roasted malt (both malts to be steeped at 155*F for 30 min)
3 lb plain dark munton's DME
3.5 lb plain amber munton's DME
1.5 oz Fuggle @ 60 min (7.2 AAU)
1 oz Tettnang @ 5 min (4.7 AAU)
3/4 cup dark molasses (found in most grocery stores)
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses (found in specialty grocery stores; can be substituted for normal dark molasses)
3 tbsp pure vanilla (added to secondary)

irish ale yeast white labs WLP 004
primed for bottling with 1.25 cups plain amber DME

- this beer primaried for 9 days, and secondaried for 2 weeks
- must bottle condition for minimum 4 weeks for best results

I was wondering, has anyone else used the recipe posted by nbspindel and if so how did it turn out? I just brewed 5 gallons of this recipe and it's been sitting in primary for a week. Noticed fermentation at 24 hours and was going crazy at 36 hours. Going to rack it to secondary at day 10. I purchased pure vanilla extract and plan to add about 3 teaspoons to the secondary (3 tablespoons sounds like a bit much). I plan to bottle a few and then keg the rest. Due to HBS recommendation I subbed Carafa 3 for the roasted malt.

Anyways, thanks for posting that recipe nbspindel. I hope it turns out good!

I wouldn't rack to secondary. Let it sit in primary for about three or four weeks to condition clear. My last four beers have been primary only and they've been the best beers I've ever tasted. Not just made, but tasted. Trust the yeast and leave it in primary.

I'm making a 5 gallon batch of this right now and I'm wondering about the vanilla. Would it really be noticeable if I didn't rack it to a secondary and just added it to the wort?

Alaskana, thanks for keeping the post alive - I would have missed it otherwise!

Macgruber, thanks for your advice, I think I'll be following your suggestion instead of racking to my secondary as I originally planned (which will save me a step). :) Do you think it will be a problem if I add my pure vanilla extract to the primary instead of to the secondary as the recipe states?

Robh: I was wondering about the vanilla extract as well. Usually when I see instructions for adding adjuncts they state to add it to the secondary, but what about when you only stay in the primary? Will the yeast cake have any effect on the vanilla? Also concerning the amounts, I know the recipe states 3 Tbsp but from what I have been reading that may be too much. I think it all depends on the style of beer where you use less for lighter beers and more for darker beers. So far I am planning on using maybe 2Tbsp instead.

I'll let you know how mine turns out!

I would add the vanilla extract at bottling or kegging. I added vanilla extract to my pumpkin ale at kegging and it was phenomenol. I don't think Three table spoons would be much if it's a strong porter. I'm planning on adding the same amount to my Baltic Porter when I keg it in a few weeks.

MacGruber: Okay, yeah that makes sense. The beer will be conditioning in the keg for about 3 weeks before I do a one week carb, so that would definitely give it time to meld with the vanilla. I will go ahead and do 3 Tbsp as this is a very dark porter, almost stout like.

Thanks for your guidance, you helped clear up some questions that have been nagging me for awhile. Here's a pic of my beer at 1 week. Slightly off topic, but as you can see it had quite an active fermentation that went right up to the airlock, I'm glad it didn't pop off. :)

stout.jpg

I'm thinking about brewing this myself, but I was wondering if there is a possibility of using split vanilla beans instead of extract. Because of the seeds I'll have to put them in a bag, which I'll boil for 15 minutes beforehand. The beans will be purchased from a brewstore, and remain sealed until they go straight into the bag and into the secondary. Is there anything I'm missing? or should be particularly worried about?

Brewed this myself (more or less @nbspindel's recipe) and it's been in the bottle two weeks. I've started drinking it because I couldn't wait any more, and it's really quite good. Plenty of molasses and vanilla on the nose, nice roasty malt and coffee flavor with notable but not overpowering vanilla to finish. Could use a bit more hops bitterness. I primed it with sugar, and the carbonation is fairly low, but I think just right for the style.

@Brewratt, I used 3 whole vanilla beans, not extract. I actually brought a big bag of them back from a trip to Bali. I soaked the whole beans in vodka for 24 hours to sanitize the outside, then split and seeded them, and put the seeds in about 1/2 oz of vodka to make it easier to add them to the beer. I also added the bean husks. Following @MacGruber's suggestion, I left it in primary for 21 days, adding the vanilla on day 11, and then straight to bottles on day 21. It's not overly vanilla flavored, so I would add more if you want a pronounced flavor.

Pretty good stuff for my second batch...

Residue, so sorry for my late reply! In any case this turned out phenomenal. I 'released' it in early December with a small group of friends and they absolutely loved it (at least that's what they told me :) ). I'm sure by now you have either brewed this or forgotten about it, but if you haven't brewed it by all means give it a try you won't be disappointed. And if it's too much into the spring season for you to brew a wintery brew like this then by all means make it a fall beer.

Happy brewing!

Found this thread whilst looking for a porter recipe for SWMBO, who for some odd reason doesn't really care for the IPAs I love. Anonymous is her name, porter is her game.

This nbspindel recipe looks to fit her taste to a tee. It's a couple of years from the last post, and I have not looked for availability of the recipe yet, so I'm hoping I can find all without too much difficulty.

Time to get back to my Plinian Legacy from Northwest Brewers; it has about 40 minutes left in the boil.

Cheers

did anybody happen to take an OG & FG when making nbspindel's recipe???

was wondering what might be an expected ABV...and also, when would the molasses be added????

Back