Looking for a sweet, viscous, imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for a thick, full bodied imperial stout? Something like a Ten Fiddy??

How about something like this. Mash at 156 degrees, and ferment with Danstar Windsor or Danstar London ESB yeast so the FG finishes very high.

RIS.png

That looks interesting. Have you made this before? This grain bill looks huge lol

I haven't made it before, but it is on my to do list. I'm a big fan of Hoppin' Frog's 'B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher'. (= Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout) This is my plan to brew something that hopefully turns out like it.

It should definitely come in at a high gravity. Don't forget to add the ~7 grams of baking soda to the mash water along with the other minerals.

Last edited:
I've done 2 imperial stouts so far, one is still in the barrel.

The first one was the Double W imperial stout, found here on HBT in the recipe threads (link).

My second one is a recipe designed by me. The post boil wort tasted awesome, rich like a desert beer, less roasty/coffee flavors and more chocolatey flavors. I don't know how the finished product will be so my recommendation would be what @Silver_Is_Money posted or the Double W.

The double w stout was really good and a big hit with me and the people I shared it with. I did change up the Double W by adding cocoa nibs and vanilla beans, and then aging it in a barrel.

That looks interesting. Have you made this before? This grain bill looks huge lol

The grain bill is huge because I do no-sparge BIAB in a cooler mash tun, and I don't get very good efficiency due to not sparging.

Actually, I won't be able to fit all of it into my 52 qt. Coleman Xtreme cooler and still do it as a one-shot no-sparge batch, so I plan to reduce the base malt down to 11 lbs. (from 20 lbs.), and also reduce the water volume accordingly, and then lastly toss in 6 lbs. of light DME (to compensate for my 9 lb. reduction in the lbs. of base malt being mashed) right before the boil.

As seen above it should all fit into a 70 Qt. Coleman Xtreme cooler though....

Last edited:
The grain bill is huge because I do no-sparge BIAB in a cooler mash tun, and I don't get very good efficiency.

Actually, I won't be able to fit all of it into my 52 qt. Coleman Xtreme cooler, so I plan to reduce the base malt down to 11 lbs. (from 20 lbs.) and then toss in 6 lbs. of light DME to adjust for this modification right before the boil.

It should fit into a 70 Qt. Coleman Xtreme cooler though....
What's your target OG? I mash in a 10 gallon cooler.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll see what the grain bill looks like with my efficiency.

Do factor in that for big beers with extremely high OG your efficiency will most likely be measurably lower than your efficiency for more normal gravity beers. Part of my huge grist bill weight (mainly as expressed within the 20 lbs. of base malt) is there specifically in an attempt to counter this tendency to loose efficiency. The other part being the no-sparge efficiency hit...

Last edited:
I've done 2 imperial stouts so far, one is still in the barrel.

The first one was the Double W imperial stout, found here on HBT in the recipe threads (link).

My second one is a recipe designed by me. The post boil wort tasted awesome, rich like a desert beer, less roasty/coffee flavors and more chocolatey flavors. I don't know how the finished product will be so my recommendation would be what @Silver_Is_Money posted or the Double W.

The double w stout was really good and a big hit with me and the people I shared it with. I did change up the Double W by adding cocoa nibs and vanilla beans, and then aging it in a barrel.
Please let me know how it comes out!

I just made my first attempt at a big, syrupy, thick stout and these are the things I tried:

- super thick mash, sparge only to hit kettle target (used the rest of the second runnings for a smaller version)
- 13# grain bill for a 3-ish gal batch (yikes!)
- generous additions of oats, dextrine and lactose
- high mash temp- 156-158F
- London ale yeast

I figure if I need to "thin" it out after fermentation stalls out, I'll add some brown sugar or honey, or blend with the second running beer. So far it's about 60% attenuated (according to brewer's friend calcs) after 10 days. This will be my Christmas beer this year- I'm hoping to prime and bottle by Dec 1.

If you want a beer with great viscosity and silk mouthfeel, just boil it longer. Five-six hours will do the trick.

Back