Looking for a smaller kegging option HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKHomebrew

Reaction score
Guys,

Well I have been kegging for about a year now using the standard corney kegs and they work great, but now I am looking for a smaller keg option, i really would like to use the 5 litre mini kegs but the fittings and the fact you have to toss it after 4 or 5 uses sucks, i also looked at the tap and draft and i am not sure on that either, i really don't want to use those small co2 carts, my idea was using 1 gal glass jugs which I can optain pretty easy they last forever and they are easy to clean, i just need to come up with some sort of tap to connect to my co2, I would like to keep it to at the lowest point a gal, I really like the jug idea since then I could use even half gal growlers too, we can have growlers filled at our local brew pud which would be pretty cool too

I am looking for some ideas anything would help

Thanks,

Jeff

:mug:

Glass jugs cannot hold pressure safely. I've never seen a small format system that did not use carts and the only one you haven't mentioned is the Party Pig.

I use growlers (2L soda bottles work too) or 3G kegs (hard to find at a good price).

Thanks for the post, when you use the growlers do you prime them?

And do you just drink out of the growler or did you make a tap system?

DSC01818.JPG

DSC01816.JPG

I know from a friends explosive disaster that growlers cannot handle the pressure involved with bottle/keg sugar priming. DO NOT TRY THIS!!

However they would handle serving pressure just fine. It would be interesting to build a screwcap with I/O on it.... hmmm maybe even a pressure relief valve just to be safe... I would think this is definitely doable with some trips to the hardware store. The diptube would probably present the biggest challenge...

Thanks for the post, when you use the growlers do you prime them?

And do you just drink out of the growler or did you make a tap system?

No, I just fill from the tap and close it on foam. I drink it with in about 6 hours so long term I don't know how it would work. The 2L I know can handle the pressure (Carbcap can force carb it). I forgot I have 1L EZ-cap that are great too. I have also seen a picnic tap system on a 2L upside down.

No, I just pour it into a glass, it's gone in 15 minutes. :mug:

How about carbonator caps for the 2 liter bottles. I've been thinking of using them for when I go on the boat. The carbonator cap has a gas corny post on the end of it. I think I could outfit a cobra cap with a gas QD and put it on the 2 liter bottle when I'm on the lake and just sit the 2 liter upside down. I dont know how you would use it in house, but maybe this could work for ya.

I know from a friends explosive disaster that growlers cannot handle the pressure involved with bottle/keg sugar priming. DO NOT TRY THIS!!

However they would handle serving pressure just fine. It would be interesting to build a screwcap with I/O on it.... hmmm maybe even a pressure relief valve just to be safe... I would think this is definitely doable with some trips to the hardware store. The diptube would probably present the biggest challenge...

I found this

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/brewing/Kegerator.htm

and it might work, i also found that the tap and draft system has a pressure relief cap that you can buy for about 5 bucks, i wonder if it will fit 1 gal glass jugs like boss sause jugs

i looked at buying 6 litre tap and draft bottles but they are 25 bucks for 3 and they say they only last 6-10 uses, the glass will last forever, if that pressure relief cap works on the boss jugs that would be perfect

and if I was to make a pressure relief cap what pressure does it need to be?

This is the pressure cap for the tap and draft

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/TAP_A_DRAFT_DISPENSING_SYSTEM_C120.cfm

when you go to the caps they say they will fit growlers and that the cap is set for 30 psi, I would think that the growlers and gal jugs will hold 30 psi, so if you put the pressure relief cap on during primming and then when swich to the tap system it might work

Back