Looking for a Simcoe Silly clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trippelx

Reaction score
I'd like to make a clone of Simcoe Silly made by Kuhnhenn Brewery in Warren, MI. I've looked up and down and all around and can't find much information anywhere. For those of you that haven't had this, here's all the info I can find that would help point us in the right direction:

Simcoe Silly: (Belgian-style strong ale) OG=1.096. Combines the unique tropical fruit
flavor and aroma of Simcoe hops with Belgian clear candi sugar, coriander, orange peel. Pilsen malt and unmalted wheat make up the mash. The special Belgian ale yeast strain
produces esters of banana, with bubblegum and clove aromas giving its rich distinct
character. (Michigan Beer Cup silver medal winner).

This amber-golden colored beer is made with Simcoe hops, Belgian yeast and candy sugar. It exhibits a medium bitterness and finishes with the flavors of coriander and orange peel. Our beer has many aspects that make it truly unique. Aromas of banana, bubble gum, orange and spices are subtly noticed while the strong American hop character fives it a well balanced finish.
10.0% A.B.V. - (from Kuhnhenn Brewery website)

Here's a rough draft I threw together on Qbrew:

Simcoe Silly Clone
------------------
Brewer:
Style: Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Batch: 5.00 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.094 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 35 IBU
Recipe Color: 11° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.024
Alcohol by Volume: 9.1%
Alcohol by Weight: 7.2%

Ingredients
-----------
Aromatic Malt (Belgian) 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Biscuit (Belgian) 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Briess DME - Bavarian Wheat 3.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess LME - Pilsen Light 6.60 lb, Extract, Extract
Candi Sugar, Clear (Belgian) 1.50 lb, Sugar, Other
Crystal 10L 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped

Simcoe 0.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Simcoe 0.50 oz, Pellet, 30 minutes
Simcoe 0.50 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

Belgian Strong Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Wyeast 3724
Corriander Seed 1.00 unit, Spice,
Orange Peel, Sweet 1.00 unit, Spice,

Please let me know your thoughts on this. This is obviously a rough draft of the recipe and I'm open to any and all feedback or criticism.

Honestly if you haven't tried already call up or stop by Kuhnhenn and just ask for the brewer and see what he/she says. An operation that small you may get some good info. Go in with the recipe you have and see if you are close. Can't hurt to try their first.

But in general in dealing with hops and spices...I use this rule: hops for bittering, spices/orange for flavor which means you probably should leave out at least the 5 min hop addition so it doesn't hide the spices.

Whatever you do don't ask the guy in the homebrew shop unless he IS the brewer. At best you may get a grunt! Ha!

Honestly if you haven't tried already call up or stop by Kuhnhenn and just ask for the brewer and see what he/she says. An operation that small you may get some good info. Go in with the recipe you have and see if you are close. Can't hurt to try their first.

But in general in dealing with hops and spices...I use this rule: hops for bittering, spices/orange for flavor which means you probably should leave out at least the 5 min hop addition so it doesn't hide the spices.

Whatever you do don't ask the guy in the homebrew shop unless he IS the brewer. At best you may get a grunt! Ha!

Funny you should say that because I did talk to the guy at my LHBS and asked what he thought of the recipe, and he gave me a, "Well, you'll make beer, other then that I don't know."

Back