Looking for a High ABV IPA extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBUDGO

Reaction score
Any suggestions. My first batch came out pretty good. :ban:

Got rave reviews from other homebrewers. But it was light on the Alcohol content. I think it was my yeast that was lame or stale.

I'd like a double IPA kit because this is one of my favorite beers right now. I might as well brew what I like. :mug:

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes I did a search, but really just did a quick scan to be honest:eek:

Ever since Northern Brewer changed from flat rate shipping I've been ordering most of my kits from Austin Homebrew, although Northern Brewer does have a DIPA kit listed. Austin Hombrew kits are really pretty good and they have a ton of IPA kits and 3 or 4 double or imperial IPA's. I'm not sure what alcohol content your shooting for but they have a AHS Double IPA thats sitting at an estimated 9.4%. And even if you find a different kit that sounds more to your liking they allow you choose and alcohol booster with it. Check it out it's a cool site!

If you didn't hit the numbers with your IPA kit, I'd figure out why before you try a higher gravity version. The higher the OG, the more likely it is that you will have fermentation problem. I'm sure you don't want to end up with sweat and heavy IIPA, but that is what you will get if you don't have a complete fermentation.

What kind and how much yeast did you pitch? Did you aerate the wort? Did you make a starter? What temp did it ferment at?

My second batch is an Imperial Pale Ale from Brewer's Best. I brewed on Saturday night into sunday AM and it is looking great and sitting at the right temperature.

Again though my OG was low for this extract kit. my hydrometer showed 1.06 at 75'F. instead of the target 1.081- 1.085. Could be the Hydrometer.

Oh ya, this was weird. My Brewer's Best kit and recipe listed 3 types of Columbus hops; 2 oz of Biittering hops, 1 oz of Flavoring Hops and 1 oz of Aroma Hops. 4 ounces total. My kit came with only 3 packets of hops, 1 ounce each all 3 packs were Aroma Hops.

It was too late to stop the process so I used what I had and adjusted the hop schedule over the 60 minutes of hopping. Should I be concerned? Could the lesser hops effected my OG?

Thanks

They are all the same, what determines if they are bittering, flavor or aroma is when you add them to the boil.
PS: you can get more hops and dry hop later on if you want. Hops doesn't effect gravity to any great extent.

They are all the same, what determines if they are bittering, flavor or aroma is when you add them to the boil.
PS: you can get more hops and dry hop later on if you want. Hops doesn't effect gravity to any great extent.

Excellent! Thanks for the reply. So it was not clear in this recipe but it sounds like the first hops are for Bittering, the 2nd hops are for Flavoring and the last are for Aroma. They should have noted that somewhere in the instructions.

Thanks again.

At 1.080- 1.085 OG for an IIPA, the hops, imo, should be double that. I used 4 oz. of hops in my 2.5 gallon batch. You're dry hop can easily be 3-4 oz.

Your OG is very low, and with the temp being 75*, you can add some point 3-4?? I would check the scale to see, but it's def not 20 points, lol. HOw much extract/ grains were in the kit? Did you end up with more liquid in your fermenter, closer to 6 gallons?? Extract should be very close to the est OG.

and followed the instructions exactly also. Except my kit was shy one ounce of hops. the recipe called for 4 oz and I only had 3.
My vessel may be inaccurately marked at the 5 gallon level and I may be adding too much water. Or the Hydrometer could be off. My last batch which was my first ever, came out fine but it's numbers were low too.

So how do you dry hop? and when? It's already fermenting, am I too late?

Also you said,... Your OG is very low, and with the temp being 75*, you can add some point 3-4?? ... Do you mean can i adjust for temp a couple of points from 1.065 to 1.085? Then Id be fine.

Thanks

If you didn't hit the numbers with your IPA kit, I'd figure out why before you try a higher gravity version. The higher the OG, the more likely it is that you will have fermentation problem. I'm sure you don't want to end up with sweat and heavy IIPA, but that is what you will get if you don't have a complete fermentation.

What kind and how much yeast did you pitch? Did you aerate the wort? Did you make a starter? What temp did it ferment at?

Hi Bill, My OG was low, not high. So so you still think I'll have a fermentation problem? the Yeast was just the packet that came with the Brewers Best Kit. no brainer, one sachet.

I'm planning on doing a few checks to make sure fermentation is complete. or they readings are the same for a week or so.

CBUDGO said:
and followed the instructions exactly also. Except my kit was shy one ounce of hops. the recipe called for 4 oz and I only had 3.
My vessel may be inaccurately marked at the 5 gallon level and I may be adding too much water. Or the Hydrometer could be off. My last batch which was my first ever, came out fine but it's numbers were low too.

So how do you dry hop? and when? It's already fermenting, am I too late?

Also you said,... Your OG is very low, and with the temp being 75*, you can add some point 3-4?? ... Do you mean can i adjust for temp a couple of points from 1.065 to 1.085? Then Id be fine.

Thanks

You typically dry hop in a secondary fermenter once the primary fermentation is complete, but it could be done in the primary fermenter. Use a hop bag for easily removing the hops later on.

As for taking SG readings, the other poster was referencing that you adjust the SG by a couple .001 points based on how far the liquid is from 60* when you sample. There are charts online; at 75* I'd add .002, so it's not a huge difference.

Back