looking for a good ESB recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
I just tried a fullers ESB or the first time yesterday and was quite impressed. I'm normally not a huge hop fan but to me it wasn't a hadcore hop flavor like in a IPA. The bitterness was quite refreshing.

Also to any recipe givers, I'm not doing any mashes. Extracts and partial grains is my level. :)

Thanks!

I did a partial mash for this one and it came out pretty good. You can add a lb of DME in place of the 2-row and use the other malts as steeping ones. I would also increase the hops a little to get a better balance. It ended up really malty. Wyeast 1275 is a great yeast for an ESB.

5lbs Xtra light dme
2lbs 2-row
1lbs C-90
0.5 carapils
1.5oz EKG at 60min
0.5oz EKG at 5 min

Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley ale yeast.

I made this ESB in an attempt to clone BridgePort ESB, and my comments are with it. It is an all-grain recipe, but you can sub in 7 lb of light LME for the 2-row I used, and steep the grains. It has nice hop aroma and isn't too astringently bitter like some IPA's. Based on your description, I think you'd enjoy it. If you like a crisper hop bitterness, you could change the bittering hops to something higher AA like a Fuggles, Northern Brewer, or EK Golding.

Here's an off-the-cuff ESB recipe to try... and probably closer to an actual British-style bitter.

7 lb Pale LME
1 lb Crystal 40 (steep)
0.25 lb Carapils (steep)

1 oz Fuggles 60m
1/2 oz EK Goldings 20m
1/2 oz EK Goldings 0m
1 oz EK Goldings dryhop (optional, but definitely preferred)

White Labs 005 yeast is nice, but maybe finished too clean. I like azmtnbiker's recommendation of the 1275 a lot!

exellent guys thanks for the replies.

Texas I think your recipe sounds pretty good. In my past brews fuggles is a strong hop imo. if I was to go with Fuggles would you stay with the recommend 1/2 oz? I do like the crispness of fuggles but tossing up mabye EK golding as well.

whats your thoughts?

If you like the crispness of Fuggles but think they're too strong for your liking, well then use less! It's your beer and you have to drink it, so make something that is palatable for yourself. :D

I was going to suggest an all EKG hop schedule, so you could just replace the Fuggles with EKG for bittering... or just drop the Fuggles down to 1/2 oz.

Personally, I like to bitter with Willamette. I know, it's a traditional finishing hop, but no one told me I can't use it to bitter, so I do! It's clean too, but it'll give the beer less of an English taste and more of a Pacific Northwest taste (if that makes any sense).

Good luck and happy brewday!

I have a Redhook ESB clone that I like. I particularly like the Willamette and Tettnanger hops. They seem to be a "kinder, gentler hop" with great flavor, though. Not harsh but definitely present. A not too bitter ESB, definitely drinkable.

6 lbs Light LME
1 Lb light DME
1 lb. 60L crystal
2 oz Willamette hops
2 oz Tettnanger hops
Ale yeast

Steep grains 15-20 minutes at 150 degrees. Remove, bring to a boil. Take off burner and add extracts. Bring to a boil.
Add 1 oz Willamette hops and 1 oz Tettnanger hops and boil for 60 minutes.
Add 1 oz Willamette hops and boil for 20 mintes.
Add 1 oz Tettnanger hops and boil 2 minutes. Cool wort to less than 80 degrees and add yeast.
I used Nottingham yeast, and was very happy with it.

Lorena

Back