looking for a couple recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epic501j

Reaction score
Hi I just signed up and had a few questions.

I was wondering if theres a good porter recipe.They have one at the neihborhood brewery its like guiness similiar but not as heavy,so somthing like that if that makes any sense.I know theres diffrent types of porters but not sure what catogory this would be in.its black you cant see through it but real smooth.

Also what about a good pilsner urquell recipe and strawberyy blonde?

If theres a place i can just go find these that would be fine as well. i havent came across a home brew recipe site yet and didnt find anything like that on here either,and is the clone beers book worth getting?

thanks a bunch :mug:

Here's a really good porter recipe I've brewed a few times. Nice and smooth, and not bitter, despite the relatively hight IBUs.

Add 1-2 vanilla beans to the secondary or some pure vanilla extract at bottling to give it a little something extra. Also, some people add some Makers Mark burbon at bottling. I'm going to try that with my next batch. :tank:

11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
1.50 lbs. Brown Malt
2.50 lbs. Munich Malt
1.00 lbs. Crystal 120L
0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L
0.50 lbs. Chocolate

0.80 oz. Magnum Whole 60 min.
1.0 oz. Goldings - E.K. 10 min.

thanks sparky

Do i mix all that in the wort at the begining? I see you have times after a couple of the things not really sure what that means? I should have stated that im new to brewing as well as new to here.I helped my buddie make some last week and we just put into secondary yesterday and i did it once about 15 years ago so i have a general idea of how it works but still prety green.also Is all the stuff listed readiely avaliable? do i use real choclate?
thanks again

Sorry for the confusion. That's a recipe for an all-grain batch. The pale malt - chocolate are all grains you should be able to get through a home brew shop. If you're doing an extract/mini-mash, replace the 11 lbs of pale w/ extract and steep the rest of the grains. I've only ever done all-grain, so I can't give full details here.

The Magnum and Goldings are hops. The Magnum are strong bittering hops. Use them for the entire 60 minutes of the boil. If you can't find them, you could replace them with something else like Nugget. The Goldings are flavoring hops that you add for the last 5-15 minutes of the boil. Again, you could replace this with another low alpha hops like Fuggles for example.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

off the top of my head, a good very standard exrtaxt porter recipe would go something like this:

6 lb.s extract ( ia lways use light extract and doctor the color/flavor with specialty grains, but dark extract would work well also.)
1/2-1 lb. chocolate malt.
1/2-1 lb. crystal 60-120L
1/4 lb. black patent (or other black malt, i like the de-bittered caraffa in a porter)

1 oz. fuggles or other low alpha english hop (60)

this is a BASIC recipe, and the IBUs are low and could be increased, but a porter should not be bitter. But everything that results in a porter is there.

Back