Looking for 40 oz bottles, Capable.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beretta

Reaction score
has anyone heard of crown-cappable 40oz bottles OK for homebrewing? I see the are some 32 oz varieties, but I'm not finding much else. Any suggestings?

Beretta

I used a 40 oz. Budweiser bottle in my last batch. Haven't opened it yet, but using the twist on cap was a bit flimsy. Thought I would try it though, just to see how well it worked. Never have seen capable 40 oz.ers for sale. And buying that much beer in those throw aways and keeping flimsy caps doesn't cut it.

On a different note, with that same batch, I also put some in 2 liter pet bottles. Put the bottles in brown paper bags to keep the light off them. Those bottle are a bit too big for a normal pour, so I concocted a mini tapper from a brass tee with one of those little co2 injectors http://www.breworganic.com/miniportableco2injector.aspx

I need to tweeked the design a bit, but it seems like an interesting alternative. I do hear long term storage in pet bottles is not a good idea since they will allow oxygen to permeat through the plastic.

Just my $0.02

Dude, good luck. I searched for this very thing as a group of us thought it would be fun/funny to make a malt liquor and put it in 40 oz bottles for some homebrew party we were throwing and that was our biggest hurdle. We searched the interwebs for hours with no luck. If you end up finding some, let me know.

Cheers

Back