Look Out Craft Breweries - Here Comes BMC...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about these arguments about college kids. I'm 25 now but I started drinking craft beer in high school and continued through college. I never really liked mass market lagers.

If you took a hard look at those around you, you would probably admit that you weren't in line with the 'average' beer drinker -especially in that crowd. Of course, THESE days, its 'trendy' to drink those kinds of brews -but just as the 'yuppie driven' trends, that sort of thing changes with time.

Nightbiker said:
If you took a hard look at those around you, you would probably admit that you weren't in line with the 'average' beer drinker -especially in that crowd. Of course, THESE days, its 'trendy' to drink those kinds of brews -but just as the 'yuppie driven' trends, that sort of thing changes with time.

I agree that most college students prefer quantity over quality and I was certainly one of them for years. Fortunately though I was in a place where there was a place/room for good beer and a young population that was willing to try something different than BMC. Further, I was attending college in Denver in the late 70's and had friends who worked with Coors in brewing, product development, etc. One of them brought a six pack that they had taken (smuggled) out of R&D - Killians Red Ale. It was the actual recipe of Killians in Ireland and it was unlike anything that I had tasted before. Another friend was involved in importing Warsteiner, a popular German beer that was unknown in the USA. Another revelation. I was hooked and never looked back. Being from the South Side of Chicago, I hardly qualified as a yuppie, but I knew that I enjoyed what I was drinking much more than what I had drank before (Point Beer from Stevens Point WI being the exception). I believe that the craft beer movement is a shift and not a passing fad. I was also into health foods in a big way in the 70's and what started out as part of the lunatic fringe is now not only mainstream but is front and center in our society.

I have to admit that I was well into my 30s before I tried something that wasn't brewed and bottled by one of the BMC giants. I gave the red lagers a try when they were (initially) popular, and enjoyed Killians, but didn't recognize it as anything special. My youngest brother brought some mini-kegs from some craft brewery he lived near (along with a few bottles of his homebrew) to my dads' wedding. After I'd set up the domestic kegs with taps, my brother brought out these minis, and after tasting them, I declared they were too good for the guests, and I plumbed them, leaving a picnic tap behind the bottled beers in the keg-chiller. We would snake out the tap to fill our mugs, and push it back again to keep it safe. Do I feel guilty for this subterfuge?
No. Not really. They all had a great time enjoying miller, WE had a GREAT time enjoying something with far more flavor! After that, I was completely hooked, and ordered up my first homebrew equipment kit the next day.

Being from the South Side of Chicago, I hardly qualified as a yuppie, but I knew that I enjoyed what I was drinking much more than what I had drank before (Point Beer from Stevens Point WI being the exception). I believe that the craft beer movement is a shift and not a passing fad. I was also into health foods in a big way in the 70's and what started out as part of the lunatic fringe is now not only mainstream but is front and center in our society.
You're right, and it caught on so well, they've made many improvements to those foods over time. I don't know where craft brewing is headed, but I don't see it disappearing -just don't know if its popularity has peaked, or will continue to grow. Either way, so long as I can get these offerings, I'll buy 'em -just as I will continue to brew as long as I can get the ingredients to do so.

I tasted a couple of Terrapin brews at a Taco Mac in the Atlanta area last month. There were not worthy of my $5 for a pint IMHO, so I moved on to something better like Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Sweetwater IPA.

Good for Miller. They can have their crappy beer to go along with the rest of their line.
Gotta disagree with Edwort on this one. I had no idea that Terrapin was part owned by MillerCoors, but so far that's beside the point. Especially when they are still mostly owned by other entities. My taste buds thought that Terrapin had some very tasty beers last time I tried them. I hope they don't lose their flavor over time. IF they continue to make good beer, I don't care who owns them.

If you want to watch a great movie on this subject, especially how BMC controls "distribution", then I highly recommend the movie: "Beer Wars".

It is a documentary available from Netflix.
:mad:

If you want to watch a great movie on this subject, especially how BMC controls "distribution", then I highly recommend the movie: "Beer Wars".

It is a documentary available from Netflix.
:mad:

I totally agree, I think that this movie also mentions how BMC makes cheap imitations of craft brews, sells these similar, cheaper, and usually more bland imitations side by side with craft beers, then essentially turn off new customers to craft beer with an inferior product.

You sir, do not have your priorities straight.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh2oDdTHXQU&feature=related]I am a Craft Beer Drinker - YouTube[/ame]

I disagree. I do not support BMC in anyway. Do what you want. I am a craft beer drinker.

Beer Wars is a 1 sided movie that stretches a lot of truths. I do not like BMC but it has nothing to do with that movie.

Beer Wars is a 1 sided movie that stretches a lot of truths. I do not like BMC but it has nothing to do with that movie.

Perhaps it is one sided, perhaps it is not. But in no way does that mean one should not watch it. After watching the movie I challenge anyone to form their own opinions, then do their own research.

So far my research has not contradicted anything that I learned from that movie.

Now you may be right, the Movie did not go into how the craft brew industry is in anyway a threat to BMC. On the other hand, perhaps it is because the craft brew industry is not a threat.

Example from the movie: Dogfish Head Beer is in fact being sued by Anheuser-Busch/InBev , for using the name Punkin Ale. Punkin being to close to the word Pumpkin. InBev does not care if they win, as long as they make Dogfish Head spend money on lawyers.

By the way InBev just bought one of the best craft brewery in the nation, Goose Island.

Perhaps it is one sided, perhaps it is not. But in no way does that mean one should not watch it. After watching the movie I challenge anyone to form their own opinions, then do their own research.

So far my research has not contradicted anything that I learned from that movie.

Now you may be right, the Movie did not go into how the craft brew industry is in anyway a threat to BMC. On the other hand, perhaps it is because the craft brew industry is not a threat.

Example from the movie: Dogfish Head Beer is in fact being sued by Anheuser-Busch/InBev , for using the name Punkin Ale. Punkin being to close to the word Pumpkin. InBev does not care if they win, as long as they make Dogfish Head spend money on lawyers.

By the way InBev just bought one of the best craft brewery in the nation, Goose Island.

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying the movie is rubbish, don't watch it. I am saying it stretches truth and is designed to get you riled up.

I do not need research. I have 1st hand experience with BMC screwing with any would be new brewery in my state. Basically, now it is a waste of time to try to open one now... Then, top that in with neither company being American owned, that means at the end of the day all the profits go overseas.

I am also aware of GI and I would not call it the best craft brewery in the nation but that is your opinion and I can respect that. I drank very little GI before and now drink none. I absolutely refuse to support BMC.

Back