Longest time Apfelwein left in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
What has been your longest time that Apfelwein has been left sitting in the primary on top of the yeast cake. Also if possible what temperature was it stored at as well.

This may help the people who are worried about not moving if from the primary after a month or two. I have full confidence that it can stay there for months but I have found it hard to find this out on the forum, specifically still sitting in the primary and not moved to a keg to condition.

So far I have one that has been left on the yeast in the primary since Jan 22nd (almost 2 months) @ 67 degrees - my first batch!

My first one went more than four months and tasted great. However, I couldn't get it to clear until I did rack it of the lees into the secondary fermenter.

i think mine went beyond six months and also made the move from texas to mississippi.

It never wanted to clear and then when it finally did, we were in the middle of a move.

May have been the cause of an off taste i have noticed.

I let a batch sit from May of last year to February this year, so around 9 months. But in that time I must have missed filling up the airlock as I ended up with some very odorous vinegar. Yes I'm an idiot... that batch was looking great.

A little over a year. I recently bottled that exact batch, so we shall see the results in about 3 weeks.

Back