Long time in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey so I've had a batch it a plastic primary fermenter for About 5 months now, should I toss it or is it still ok to bottle ?

Im not the best guy to give advice, but i read a lot and have some suggestions for you to get a good response.

1. info on the brew. what is it?
2. type, location, and conditions it was stored. was it in a temp-controlled area with a airlock, kept out of light and in a fermenter bucket? or did it sit in the sun in the backseat of your car for five months.
3. photos will help to determine a lot, especially if there is any infection or whatnot.

Personally, if its been stored well, bottle her up. should be a good brew as long as you kept it from getting infected.

It's a copper ale and it was stored properly, temp controlled and out of the light. I think I'll bottle it up and give it a look to see if it's got anything growing haha

I've left beers 6+ months in plastic, some of the best beer I've ever made. People have left beer a year with no issues.

There's no reason to EVER consider dumping a beer, unless you know something's wrong FOR SURE.....

Did you bother tasting it before that possible scenario entered into you mind?
Why is it that "dumping beer" especially without even knowing if anything is wrong, so prevalent in the mindset of new brewers?

I've left beers 6+ months in plastic, some of the best beer I've ever made. People have left beer a year with no issues.

There's no reason to EVER consider dumping a beer, unless you know something's wrong FOR SURE.....

Did you bother tasting it before that possible scenario entered into you mind?
Why is it that "dumping beer" especially without even knowing if anything is wrong, so prevalent in the mindset of new brewers?

No kidding. If I have five months in a brew, I may as well bottle it and see what I have. Why on earth would I just pour it out?

Seriously, go bottle your beer, OP. Odds are, your "error" of a long ferment has lead to great beer.

Revvy said:

Idk either. Christ, I wish I could leave something alone long enough to consider worrying about it. I can barely make my three week fermenter rule without wanting to bottle it up and start drinking. :lol:

Back