Long time in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
My last batch of ale is still fermenting after 6 days, bubbling about every 5 seconds and it took about 27 hours to start fermenting.

The first batch finished in 3 days and started in less than 12 hours. Same yeast and mostly same ingredients.

I do a partial mash with 4lb of grain in a 2 gal igloo cooler.

The first batch I used a 5qt mash-in and I heated my mash-out water in the brewpot and poured my first runnings in the mash-out water. (My mash-tun isn't big enough to do the mash-out.)

The last batch I used 6 qt of water instead of 5qt and I didn't use mash-out water. I just heated the first runnings to about 190.

Do you think my changes in the last batch had anything to do with the slow fermenting?

I wouldn't worry about it. Most of my batches take about 1-2 days to start fermenting (ag batches) and I let them sit in primary for about 2 weeks, then rack to secondary for about another 2 weeks prior to packaging.

Prolonged fermentation as you are describing is more likely something to do with your yeast and/or fermentation conditions. Did you oxygenate, how much yeast did you pitch, what temp are you fermenting at?

GT

Ive had 2 batches that went for about 10 days and 1 batch that kept at it for 14 days. I couldn't figure out why but all seemed to be just fine after secondary and bottle conditioning. They all tasted great. Don't worry too much but make sure you check your hydro readings to insure they are finished before bottling. Sounds to me like you a fine one coming along.

I am in the same boat. I am fermenting 5 gallons of Irish Red. It is taking alot longer to promary ferment than I am used to. This is only the second time I have made this recipe and can't remember it taking so long last time. This is my first time using a 6 gallon Better Bottle for primary and I also used a wort chiller for the first time. I am just going to let it take it's course and see what I come up with. I always transfer to a secondary carboy. I will be doing the same thing with this one. Let me know how yours turns out.

Back