Long term storage in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalBrew

Reaction score
I was wondering how long can you store your brew in bottles. I know its going to depend on the style of brew. You hear all the time about wanting to rush the conditioning time but what about how long is to long? Here is my case.
All though I love beer I only drink like a 6 pack a week. Im new to brewing and went hog wild on brewing 3 5gallon batches. I have Autumn amber in bottles now for a week. Pale ale just put into secondary. And a robust Porter 1 week into primary ferm (still bubbling like crazy 8 days later, gonna be potent ). So with 3 batches I'm calculating about 7 cases of beer and 7 month supply. AND I REALLY want to brew a honey wheat , probably should wait a few ya think?
I need some advise , yes I will share and that will help some. but I really want to know best way to and how long can you store the brew before skunkage sets in. Maybe the porter I can just ferm for 3 weeks in primary and 3-4 weeks in secondary? That will buy some time to drink the autumn amber and pale ale.

depending on the style of beer and storage conditions, beer will last years. keep em in a cool, dark place and they will be fine. i'd start on the pale first...hop flavors tend to fade over time, but that doesn't mean the beer will be bad.

depending on the style of beer and storage conditions, beer will last years. keep em in a cool, dark place and they will be fine. i'd start on the pale first...hop flavors tend to fade over time, but that doesn't mean the beer will be bad.

yeah, start with the pale, but that porter will only get better with time. and now is your chance to brew that massive belgian that you dont want to touch for a year :)

I think the key here is that you are new to brewing. Before I started I had at most six a week. Now I drink much more. Just give it some time and you may see your consumption shoot up. That said took me about a year to realize I needed to work out more to compensate.

IPAs and wheat beers need to be drank while young. Lighter, paler beers seem to also do better young.

Darker beers, and especially, bigger beers can keep for long periods - I'm about to bottle an imperial nut brown ale that the recipe creator says is good after three months in bottles, great after six months, and amazing after a year.

The key, though, is to store them in a dark, cool place, and to be certain that you minimize any possibility of oxygen exposure.

I have a autumn amber in bottles now. How long can I store this type of brew. I like to drink different brews. I don't really want to just drink the autumn amber or just my PA until they are gone and then move to the next style. Obviously I will drink the PA more often since It will not last as long. I think since the porter can last a long time I will brew my honey wheat when I get low on the PA. Hopefully the autumn amber will last longer so I can drink it with the PA and the honey wheat. Ill milk the porter.

How long can a autumn amber ale last in bottles.
Should you store brews in bottles for a long time , worried about over carbonation and exploding bottles. Should I store them for 3 weeks 68deg for carb ,then store them at cooler temp to slow carb down. Is it best to store them in the fridge after 2-3 weeks of carb conditioning?
sorry for the dumb questions , maybe Im over thinking things but that's how my brain rolls. Sometimes I tend to plain to much.

The essentials have been covered here. Generally, more alcohol and darker means both longer to condition and the longer it will keep. But there's also the environmental factor that was mentioned. Cool storage will prolong the life of a beer. These variables mean that it's impossible to give an exact figure for how long a beer will last. So drink up!

if you drink more, you won't overthink this kind of stuff.

Keep brewing

bottle when the beer is ready

keep your fridge full and store everything else in the basement until you need to restock fridge.

buy another fridge and fill that

rinse and repeat

Brew more! Worst case, you get better beer from extra aging or you can give some away as gifts! Everybody loves receiving homebrew even if they discover that they don't love drinking it.

Back