Long primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genexxa

Reaction score
Hi after 2 weeks in the primary my beer only went from 1.040 to 1.016. Since i had absolutly no activity in the last 4 days I decided to move to secondary... here is what I used:

1 kit of Coopers Canadian Blonde
1kg of light extract malt
Coopers yeast which was included with the kit

I'll probably leave it 3 weeks in the secondary to clear the beer as much as possible...

the only thing I'm afraid of, is that I don't want to end up with a 3% alc beer...

what you think?

If your brew has finished fermentation, you will have an alcohol content somewhere around 3.144% abv. How big was your batch (5 gal)? What was your final volume when you put your brew in the primary?

It'll still be nice!! take it on the chin and chalk it up to experience. Call it a session beer and enjoy copious amounts of it, oh and add extra malt next time. Also you could try using some dried nottingham yeast next time, its cheap, better than the coopers (IMO) and it ferments really well meaning its unlikely you'll end up with a weak brew.

Unless of course the present brew is to sweet for your tastes, then i would suggest using some amylase (we use dry beer enzyme in the U.K. but i see american based brewers posting about beano).
But be careful it might end up giving you a 4% beer with no body what so ever.

Back