long fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian wit 9 days ago and this morning when I looked at the beer my blow off tube still had a bubble every 5 seconds.

Every other beer I have made to this point finished fermentation by the 5-7 day or at least the bubble activity slowed WAAAYY down.

Any ideas on this occurance??

Should I rack to a secondary?

Put on an airlock instead of blow off tube???

Thanks in advance for any advice.:rockin:

My OG was 1.050 and I checked it last friday and it was down to about 1.021

The only way to know if with your hydrometer....you said you last checked on Friday...so check again. Airlock bubbling only means, that the airlock is bubbling...it really shouldn't be used to judge fermentation....half of my beers never show any airlock action....

cooler temps promote longer fermentation. As Revvy said trust your hydrometer. Since building my fermentation cab I don't even look at mine for 14-21days. this gives the yeast a chance to finish and clean up. I don't do a lot of wheat beers, but use the same tech. when I do.

I would say that a general rule would be that for ales, if fermentation isn't over in 7 days, that is when you should start to worry.

:off:Revvy: Half of your beers never show airlock action? I know and get and agree with the whole "don't trust the airlock" thing, but that sounds really weird to me. What's goin' on with your fermentors?

I would say that a general rule would be that for ales, if fermentation isn't over in 7 days, that is when you should start to worry.

:off:Revvy: Half of your beers never show airlock action? I know and get and agree with the whole "don't trust the airlock" thing, but that sounds really weird to me. What's goin' on with your fermentors?

Nothing....All my brews are fine...heck I'd say over half that I notice have no bubbling...I have multiple airlocks, multiple fermenters (buckets, and carboys), warm fermentations, cold fermentations....That's why you can't trust the airlock. There's too many variables at play...an airlock could be askew, the seal could be loose, co2 bubbles could be sitting heavily on the bubbler...there's just too many diifferent things that could cause a cheap 2 dollar plastic doohickey not to function...

It's really not meant to do anything...it is really just a cheap pressure relief valve that sits in liquid to prevent any thing nasty from crawling inside...it is not a gauge of any kind....it's not a precise instrument...As opposed to a hydrometer....

Back