Long Fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
I made my third brew the other day which was an Anchor liberty clone from AHS.

I have a question about how long it has been fermenting. It will be 7 full days tonight of bubbling. Right now it is down to about 1 or 2 bubbles per minute using a blow off tube.

Is it alright to transfer this to a secondary or should I wait for it to stop bubbling completely.

IF possible id rather not take an O.G. reading because i would have to siphon some out and risk contamination. So what do you all think?

I would take a gravity reading just to be sure. You can use a sanitized turkey baster to collect the wort for a sample or a plastic wine thief from your LHBS.

I usually use the turkey baster method, i dont think it will reach the beer since it is in a 6.5 gallon carboy.

And im too cheap to buy the wine theif just for this. Any other suggestions?

If you are itching to take a reading, siphon some out and see where you are....if you sanitize your gear and proceed as you would when handling your brewing beer, no big worries.

david_42 said:
I'd switch to an airlock and let it ride a few more days.

Me too. It won't hurt being in the primary for a few extra days, especially since there is obviously active fermentation still going on.

Ok, too bad I already took the gravity reading and once I looked in it looked like there was still some krausen that I disturbed.

Funny thing is that I forgot to take the OG. reading. Im currently below the recipes final gravity and it is still bubbling. I messed up somewhere (probably not getting that OG reading).

Its currently only bubbling about once per minute.

I may not be able to transfer until 1 week from today, will it be ok on the trub that much longer?

you should be alright people say it takes 3 weeks or more to get off flavors. however I don't know from experience. Happy brewing

Don't get hung up on the 1-2-3 method or 7 days in the primary thing. I usually keep a beer in the primary for at least 10-14 days to let the yeast clean up after themselves.

Help!! The airlock is still bubbling after 2 full weeks! Isnt that abnormally long?

Man i am glad that i am not the only one...i think that you posted on my blog, mine has stopped bubbling now after 10 days but i keep pushing the top down on the bucket and it keeps building pressure. I checked the gavity today and it is where it needs to be, but i am going to let it settle for a day or two before i move to the secondary...good luck.

rsmasters said:
Man i am glad that i am not the only one...i think that you posted on my blog, mine has stopped bubbling now after 10 days but i keep pushing the top down on the bucket and it keeps building pressure. I checked the gavity today and it is where it needs to be, but i am going to let it settle for a day or two before i move to the secondary...good luck.

My first 2 beers actually did that after fermentation stopped, the bubbling stopped but left the cap in the airlock pushed up. (I hope that made sense).

My brew finally stopped after about 14 days. I actually read in how to brew that if your F.G. is under 1.010 that there is a good chance it was infected by wild yeast. JOhn Palmer says that would lead to a near flavorless beer and possibly one that is not even drinkable. Mine stopped at exactly 1.010 so hopefully that is not what happened.

Back