long concentrated boils of sorghum syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soybomb

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried boiling down a bit or sorghum syrup and water mix seperately before starting the main boil with hops?

My next brew is supposed to be a porter and the lack of speciality grains make getting a good dark color and a nice roasty/toasty flavor a bit of a challenge. It sounds like caramelizing some of the sorghum syrup might help out with that.

Has anyone ever tried boiling down a bit or sorghum syrup and water mix seperately before starting the main boil with hops?

My next brew is supposed to be a porter and the lack of speciality grains make getting a good dark color and a nice roasty/toasty flavor a bit of a challenge. It sounds like caramelizing some of the sorghum syrup might help out with that.

You can make your own specialty grains. I roasted my own for my Brown Ale and this Stout I am about to transfer. I'll post pics of the color in a bit.

Just take your grains and roast them at 400 until you get the color you want, then let them sit in a paper bag for 2 weeks.

Also, the D2 syrup or blackstrap molasses will give you some color.

Back