LoDo Cold Crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle23

Reaction score
Hey everyone I thought this would be the best place to put this as the GBF guys are the ones putting the most thought into Spunding and other thoughts.

I cold crashed my IPA last night. I ferment in corney kegs with a blowoff tube attached to the gas post, this time into a water bottle spiked with starsan. I went this evening to add the geltin finings and the bottle was totally empty, and I know where it all went.

I'm not super worried about any oxygen that got into the beer because I know I can prevent it next time and I'm not stressing the star san for the same reason.

I want to make a spunding valve to use during fermentation. I am wondering what the psi should be set at so when I cold crash the pressure drops and the gases constrict, I wont end up with ant suckback or negative pressure?

Thanks

If you cold crash long enough, you will get negative pressure due to CO2 absorption into the beer.

Brew on :mug:

I'd think CO2 absorbsion would be limited to the small amount in the headspace and that suck back would come from contraction of the liquid from cooling.

Why not hook up your gas line while crashing?

Hey everyone I thought this would be the best place to put this as the LOB.com guys are the ones putting the most thought into Spunding and other thoughts.

I cold crashed my IPA last night. I ferment in corney kegs with a blowoff tube attached to the gas post, this time into a water bottle spiked with starsan. I went this evening to add the geltin finings and the bottle was totally empty, and I know where it all went.

I'm not super worried about any oxygen that got into the beer because I know I can prevent it next time and I'm not stressing the star san for the same reason.

I want to make a spunding valve to use during fermentation. I am wondering what the psi should be set at so when I cold crash the pressure drops and the gases constrict, I wont end up with ant suckback or negative pressure?

Thanks

See my correction in RED above. ;)

I think your issue would be solved by just removing the blowoff before you cold crash. If you are fermenting in kegs, before dropping the temperature just remove that connection to your gas post. No need to go crazy looking for a complicated solution.

Thanks everyone so much for all the ideas. I'm glad to know its an easy fix and I'm just putting too much thought into it.

Back