LODO and Fitting Size Changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinkies

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been out of brewing for a while but finally decided to jump back in. I'm building up a new BIAB recirculation system. I'm trying to keep LODO in mind to try once it's all up and running. I know BIAB is hard because of the aeration when pulling the bag, but I've some ideas there or I'll just get a mash tun and have a 2 vessel system if I really get into it.
I read somewhere, but I can't seem to find it, that the "smoothness" of the wort path for recirculation, and chilling is important. In other words fitting size changes that can cause turbulence (or shearing, another rabbit hole) should be avoided. The consensus I had been using was that 1" (OD, 0.875" ID) Tri Clamps to 1/2" ID barbs and 1/2" ID hose wouldn't be a big deal, that it's the minimum size ID in the chain that's important. I have 1" TC valves and Tees. Would it be better to swap the 1" TC for custom 1/2" pipe with 1.5" flange valves and tees or is the 0.875" to 0.5" changes not that big of deal? Thanks in advance!

P.S. If this is posted elsewhere I couldn't find it, sorry.

Latest posts

Back