Lobster Beer!!! Get this smell outta here!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C4PNJ4ZZ

Reaction score
My roommate decided brew pot=lobster pot and cooked about 20 lobsters in my brew pot (ceramic on steel). The pot stinks to high heaven now and will not go away. Any ideas on how to get the smell out? More bleach? Long soak? HELP!

Buy a new pot. Been there, done that. Both enamel and aluminum. Buy a stainless pot if you need it for multiple purposes.

On the upside, you now have a great lobster pot.

PS- I hate you for living where lobsters are so easy to get and are affordable. I would kill a man for a lobster roll right now.

Try a PBW soak for a few days, then a soak in bleach solution for a week. Or maybe your roommate should just buy you a new pot.

My roommate decided brew pot=lobster pot and cooked about 20 lobsters in my brew pot (ceramic on steel). The pot stinks to high heaven now and will not go away. Any ideas on how to get the smell out? More bleach? Long soak? HELP!

Congratulate your roommate on his new purchase of a lobster pot, and have him replace yours. Wait, strike that- have him give you cash. Either replace it with the same pot or use this as a chance to upgrade to something nicer.

have her or him get you a new one and put the old one outside in teh sun the smell will be gone in a month or so

Use his head for a mop, and his ass for a broom.

I do believe this is the proper response. Only...

Use his head for a mop, his ass for a broom, and his credit card for a new brewpot.

Also, +1 to this.

PS- I hate you for living where lobsters are so easy to get and are affordable. I would kill a man for a lobster roll right now

But I want my lobster roll from Kelly's. Not the crappy one, the good one up on the beach.

If you go to kelly's the only proper meal is a super beef 3-way. Plenty of other places have good lobster rolls

I got a friend to bring over a pot for us to brew in. Meanwhile the roommate is duct taped to a lightpole

translation: extra large roast beef sandwich on a grilled sesame seed bun with american cheese, bbq sauce and mayo.... second translation: heaven

PS- I hate you for living where lobsters are so easy to get and are affordable. I would kill a man for a lobster roll right now.

If you are ever in the Long Island area PM me and we can go to the Lobster Roll (Lobster Roll Restaurants). Bobby Flay previewed the resturant on his show "FoodNation" on FoodTV. Then we can come back to my house (I live about 8 miles west from the Lobster Roll) and enjoy some of my brews.

Maine lobstah FTW! If he likes lobster so much I say you fill that pot you have with water, and let it soak for awhile, then strategically dump the lobster juice into his pillowcase, under his rug, in his waste basket, in a heater (if you can find one), etc. He should buy you a new pot, and him complaining about the lobster stink will be the gift that keeps on giving.

Try scrubbing it with kosher salt and half of a lemon cut side down. Or stuff it with newspaper and leave it in the sun.

In the mean time I'd just beat your roomate with a rubber hose until he gets you a new pot.

Buy a new pot. Been there, done that. Both enamel and aluminum. Buy a stainless pot if you need it for multiple purposes.

On the upside, you now have a great lobster pot.

Come out to Boston sometime and I'll take you out with us when we go diving. I'll catch more than you can eat.

PTN

Then you would really hate me, lol. Lobster, cold water shrimp, and snow crab are always somewhere to be had either cheap or free. Why Howlingdogbrewer had a bucket of cold water shrimp at the big brew saturday. We never eat half of it.

The sun is your friend. Put it in the sun with bleach water in it. It will probably take a month or so try to heat it up.

Well I don't think there'll be much diving going on then! I know you East coasters are a hardy bunch and all...

Hope you have luck with your brewpot.

Thanks for the advice, I've been doing daily 3 gallon water boils which has nearly eliminated the smell. I will be giving it some sun for the next few weeks.

.... hmmmm... maybe I should toss a clam bake onto the pig pit when the pig comes out this year. I mean... the pit will already be hot right?

sorry :off:

Back