Load Switch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alowell

Reaction score
SO, I am starting to build the control panel for my brewery and I had a question about load switches that I was hoping you guys could help me with. I will have a 120V line running in on a 20A circuit. The switch would provide an ON-OFF function for power to the panel (think red and yellow ones) I was wondering about the ratings:

1. Do I just have to make sure the Amp rating is greater than 20A?
2. In terms of the number of poles in the switch, what does that mean? Does it matter?

I am not an electrician by any means and I will be having my electrician friend help me with the wiring. I just need to know what parts to order. Any help would be great. Thanks, guys.

Andrew

1. Do I just have to make sure the Amp rating is greater than 20A?
You want a switch rated for 20 or more amps and 120V.

2. In terms of the number of poles in the switch, what does that mean? Does it matter?
That basically describes the number of wires that you want the switch to connect/disconnect. For 120V service, there is one hot wire and one neutral wire. You definitely want to switch the hot, so a single pole is fine. If you want, you can also switch the neutral, but it isn't necessary.

Thanks, Walker. Another question about the poles. Does it matter if it is a switch with more than two poles. I saw one on ebay that was a 6 pole switch. I assume I would just only use one of the 6 poles?

Thanks, Walker. Another question about the poles. Does it matter if it is a switch with more than two poles. I saw one on ebay that was a 6 pole switch. I assume I would just only use one of the 6 poles?

No. It doesn't matter if it has more poles than you need. You simply wouldn't use the extra ones.

You can get regular "light switches" at Home Depot that will handle 20 amps.

They cost about $6 (regular, 15 amp switches cost under a dollar), but they fit in a standard outlet box.

I'm going to be upgrading to a separate 30 amp system in the garage, from the 20 amp that is there now. Do they still sell switches that can do 30 amp at home depot? I was originally thinking of putting in a handled turn switch to turn power on to the system (I guess it was cosmetic only and looked cool). Now I might be thinking a small switch at the side of the enclosure to bring power to the box might be better and take up less space. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back