Lme vs. dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggabrew

juggabrew
Reaction score
So I'm a newbie! Just started 3 weeks ago and have done 2 BB kits. For the time being I'm gonna stick with extract brewing before going AG. I want to clone some recipes so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it would be better to use all LME or all DME?? I also like to have some specialty grains to steep

Also trying to locate an extract version of bells 2 hearted

Primary: BB red ale
Secondary: BB amber ale

I have done dozens of extract brews and I have never noticed any taste difference between the two. However, I do much prefer the LME. I often find LME to be a bit easier to work with. This is all completely my personal preference and I have no real science to back up which is better. I just find LME to be easier to work with.

No matter which you use, make sure you use the proper equations to to calculate volume of LME to DME! (or Vice Versa)

Welcome to the club!!! I try to only use DME unless there is no other option. The reason I use DME is because it darkens the wort less, it tends to be fresher, lasts longer on the shelf, so on and so forth.

Also on a side note get in the practice of adding 1/2 lb or less of DME per gal of water. IE: 6 gal boil add 3 lbs or less of DME. Then at flameout add the remainder of your DME and start to cool. This also helps keep the wort lighter during the boil.

You can avoid getting dark beer by doing late extract additions with LME as well. I guess if color is really that important to you and you want it as light as possible DME may be a good route. The cost isnt justifiable for that reason alone imo. As far as shelf life DME will last longer but LME lasts quite a while as long as its stored properly. That being said, unless you plan on having malt extract laying around for crazy periods of time the shelf life aspect isnt that big of a deal.

I found that the1/2 and 1/2 method of lme face me a beautiful finished beer. When I added all if the lme at boil my ambers were coming out colored like a stout. When I switched to the 1/2 and 1/2 method I could see that beautiful amber copper color from day one.

I prefer DME over LME for two reasons:

1) Pound for pound, you get about 20% more fermentables, since none of the weight of DME is water.
2) LME tends to disappear to the bottom of your boil bucket and you need to be far more careful ensuring it is dissolved, to avoid scorching it. With DME I find that it's fairly simple to tell when it's dissolved, because it tends to float on the surface.

That said, I still use both! I'm still kit-brewing for the most part, so whatever comes in the kit that I have an interest in, I use.

Primary : Amarillo Pale Ale
Secondary: Belgian Dubbel
Keg: Cologne Kolsch
Keg: Sarsaparilla
On the shelf awaiting ferementer space: Hefeweizen, Orange Blossom Amber.

All great info but when it really comes down to it, it's a matter of preference. When you get a kit use what it has in it. Some kits have both. When I start creating kits I use DME.

All great info but when it really comes down to it, it's a matter of preference. When you get a kit use what it has in it. Some kits have both. When I start creating kits I use DME.

I agree. I prefer DME, but LME can be used at the end of boil to help save money (its a bit cheaper) and I think the negatives of LME are reduced by using at the end of the boil. Just remember to remove from heat so you don't scorch the LME, or boil over the DME (it happens...)

That said, When I build a recipe on my own, I use DME and grains. If I am copying a recipe, I copy it. I hope to try my hand at Partial Mash soon, maybe partial mash IPA? I dunno all this brewing talk is going to make me ride a lot of miles on my soon to arrive road bike this summer, to burn all the calories! :)

nymtber said:
I agree. I prefer DME, but LME can be used at the end of boil to help save money (its a bit cheaper) and I think the negatives of LME are reduced by using at the end of the boil. Just remember to remove from heat so you don't scorch the LME, or boil over the DME (it happens...)

That said, When I build a recipe on my own, I use DME and grains. If I am copying a recipe, I copy it. I hope to try my hand at Partial Mash soon, maybe partial mash IPA? I dunno all this brewing talk is going to make me ride a lot of miles on my soon to arrive road bike this summer, to burn all the calories! :)

I have my road bike sitting in the basement. Haven't gone for a ride yet but Cleveland will do that. I'll be attempting my first duathlon this summer...

image-3104475669.jpg

It was a gift from my GF's uncle. The tires alone are worth more than my life

Looks like its coming down to preference, is one more cost effective than the other?

I prefer DME over LME for two reasons:

1) Pound for pound, you get about 20% more fermentables, since none of the weight of DME is water.

On the flip side pound for pound DME is more expensive. You get more fermantables for your dollar from LME.

I usually use LME as the base and add DME to get up to my target gravity. LME is nice as long as you need the amount in the jug. LME is a pain to measure out.

When I'm doing extract I prefer dme. I have had lme scorch on me (probably my fault) and you can't just pour a third of the can in a ziplock for later use.
For those of you with cost as a concern check out deathbrewers biab (brew in a bag) method. It's what I cut my teeth with mashing on and it's really not that hard just need a thermometer, grain bag, brew kettle, a pot for sparge water, and some towels/blanket/sleeping bag (something to insulate). Partial mash allows you to use ingredients that may not be easy to find in extract form (rye come to mind, I love the rye spice). After a few BIABs you'll probably find yourself shopping for a cooler to build a mash tun.
For a simple straightforward beer there's nothing wrong with extract. My last few batches I have used dme as the base fermentables to shorten brew day and clean up time. But then again I often brew cider/ apfelwein just so I only have to sanitize and pitch. (Brewing BrandonO's graff as I write this, bit of a compromise)
Keep brewing try new things and find what works for you. I started with kits too but soon found that the recipes on the forum are just as good and usually better (especially anything from EdWort biermuncher, and yooper) most of the popular all grain recipes have and extract approximation somewhere in the thread. Keep reading and keep brewing. Even "failures" are important learning opportunities but luckily with this forum and THE SEARCH FUNCTION a lot of mistakes can be avoided.
Cheers and congrats on beginning a rewarding hobby that friends and family will truly enjoy.
Careful because being a brewer can end up sort of being like the guy with a pickup truck on moving day (dude can you make a beer for so and so party?) but I guess people wanting to drink your beer is a good problem to have ;).
Sorry for the tangents.
Ps I suggest you check out the simple hefewiezen thread if you like wheat beer, simple fast turn around and really tasty. even after going to Grain I kept this extract recipe on usual rotation

Looks like its coming down to preference, is one more cost effective than the other?

Most are saying the DME is more $$ than LME. I've found that it, like which is better 'depends'. I've come accross less $$ for DME both per fermentable, and per pound. But you have to compare, and know that you are comparing at either 1.25 or .8 of the other (ie 1lb of LME=.8 DME for sugar and 1.25LME=1 of DME )

specifically 1.044 ppgp DME that is 1 lb of DME in 1 wort to 1 gallon = 1.044. With LME it 1.037.

DME is sticky when you add it from the steam. But LME is sticky all the time, and very viscous, but flows better when heated a bit.

About the only advantage of the DME over LME not mentioned is you can buy it more easily in 1, 2, 3 and even 5lb sizes. Most often, LME is sold in 3.3lb. So if you want 5lb of malt extract, you can mix 3.3lb of LME with 2lb of DME. Heck you can even store dme opened - usually for yeast starters, but not always. But if you buy preset kits, they send you the amount you need, so that isn't a problem either.

I've seen some kits at one of the IHBS that were DME and less $$ than the same kit as LME. so it all varrries, and you should do the math. But in general, I think the LME is less $$ than DME, unless you start buying 50lb bags of DME - you can by 33lb jugs of LME, but I'd be more concerned about it going bad once opened. I don't know the $/lb of either 50's or 33's. I've just seen them from time to time.

All this said, if I'm ordering big - like to get free shipping/reduced shipping per kit etc. I order LME if I'm making it soon, and DME if I plan on waiting a bit. So the first kit is a LME usually less $$ but the 2nd and 3rd are usually DME

Yeah at my lhbs they have 3.3# lme for 10.50 or 3# dme for 10.50 I usually buy a 4.5# dme for $16. (Lhbs is a brew pub so i dont order online, get to support local business and have a nice pint while shopping) But as I said earlier with base grains at $1.30 a pound if cost is the main factor doing a partial or all grain is really a better option. Don't be scared of grain(reminds me of star San "don't fear the foam"). Just read read read and hopefully by the time you try a mash you'll be in the ball park and can dial it in from personal experience.

I have my road bike sitting in the basement. Haven't gone for a ride yet but Cleveland will do that. I'll be attempting my first duathlon this summer...

View attachment 105512

It was a gift from my GF's uncle. The tires alone are worth more than my life

Vintage Steel Allez! NICE! :) Those wheels do look pretty fancy, what are they? My new bike is all assembled and mostly ready. Need to clean my SPD pedals, install, and clean the protectant out of the chain and put some light chain oil (pro-gold) on. Then wait for spring :(

If you guys can get FRESH LME local cheap, go for it! I can't. Online I don't mind LME, but local I go with DME only.

I am going to start doing PM soon. Maybe a PM IPA? :) Still has to be partial boil, I am not spending money on a new kettle. Or I can do an all-grain BIAB 3gal..oh boy.

I remember reading somewhere to use all light or extra light DME and then add color with specialty grains. I've been doing that since my 3rd or 4th bath and I really feel each has turned out better than the last. I haven't used LME in over 2 years, maybe its time to give it another try.

On a side note, some of the bells guys made a clone of the two hearted. I have a copy somewhere that I'll try and send to you.

murppie said:
I remember reading somewhere to use all light or extra light DME and then add color with specialty grains. I've been doing that since my 3rd or 4th bath and I really feel each has turned out better than the last. I haven't used LME in over 2 years, maybe its time to give it another try.

On a side note, some of the bells guys made a clone of the two hearted. I have a copy somewhere that I'll try and send to you.

Sweet!! that would be great!!

Latest posts

Back