Liquor choice for NB Bourbon Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I am curious to hear what different kinds of liquor have people used in their NB Bourbon Barrel Porter besides the most commonly used Makers Mark?
I am brewing my 2nd batch of this beer and I am thinking about using Jack Daniels honey.

I'd do something cheap like Henry McKenna ... The subtleties of great and often expensive bourbon get lost in the mix of that beer. It just needs a good bourbon flavor. I'll be brewing my 2nd batch of NB bbp this fall... Excellent kit.

Anyone else use something besides bourbon or whiskey? If not what kind of bourbon or whiskey did you use?

I'm leaning towards Gentlemen Jack over the bourbon.

In another thread I read someone used rum but I can't remember which brand.

Zaya Rum. This ain't no Bicardi, it's an incredible sipping rum aged 12 years.

Brief description:
Rich and luxuriant vanilla and caramel great your palate on the entry, just as they did on the nose. Notes of cocoa persist throughout the experience while underneath the heavy and sweet flavors you’ll find hints of apples and bananas before the finish arrives with a strong showing of cherry accompanied with the ever present vanilla.

I emailed NB prior to buying this kit asking them what they thought about using rum and one of their chief brewers recommended using a spiced rum. I imagine that the vanilla from the rum along with the vanilla from the oak should make this an awesome porter!

I'm getting ready to add the rum/oak this weekend.

Wild Turkey American Honey --- great on the rocks, or in a honey porter or a bourbon porter

I just finished some a few weeks ago using Famous Grouse scotch. I wasn't a big fan of the scotch so (in retrospect) I'm not sure why I decided it'd be good in the beer but I think it has come out as reasonably compelling. Last night I wished I'd had one chilled and ready at least. I have a bourbon version (with Makers) that will be ready to drink soon to compare to, but so far I have a hard time determining how much the oak contributes and how much the scotch contributes. I soaked the oak cubes in the scotch for 1 week and put that mix in secondary for two weeks before bottling. For the crucial test of would I do it again - yes, but I think I'd change up the scotch to something less floral and a little more smoky and reduce the oak cube soaking time and oak time in secondary.

Bulleit here as well. I like bourbon, used almost a whole fifth, wanted to really taste it. My BBP didn't ferment much below 1.018 if I remember, so I wanted to cut any residual maltiness a bit as well.

I've got some eagle rare lying around from when there was a clearance on 1.75's. I'll let you know how it turns out.

There's a pretty large thread on here for NB Bourbon Barrel Porter, you should find it and see what people are using. Some people even use rum I think...

I used 8 oz to one gallon with my coffee bourbon mixture. 128 oz to a gallon and only 8 oz added is not to bad I think.

I used a pint of makers mark. I soaked the oak chips in it for 3 weeks and dumped the bourbon and the chips straight into the secondary. Turned out great.

I did the Imperial Stout kit and used Jim Beam Black. Had Bookers but wanted flavor not just heat. I used 8 oz with 2 oz medium toast oak and 2 each cinnamon sticks and vanilla beans. Bottled a couple days ago, more oak then bourbon.

Evan Williams single barrel... 2009 bottling if you can find it. Quite possibly one of the best bourbons you can drink, especially for the price. 2009 is the best bottling I have sampled and I think it it would compliment very well.

I soaked 4oz of medium toast French oak with 5 jiggers of Beam's Black 8 year old bourbon the whole time my dark ale was fermenting. I put them in a tight lidded plastic container in the fridge for that time.
The chips soaked up 2/3 of the bourbon. I poured them through a grain sack into secondary. Then tied off the bag & dropped it in,racking the dark ale onto them. I let it sit for 8 days.It got fairly strong too. It's been in the bottles 10 weeks today. 2 weeks ago,I put a few in the fridge with some others for labor day. I drank a couple yesterday evening while we watched videos. It was clearer,with good carbonation & a creamy 2" off white head.
The aroma was smooth,light bourbon. The taste was a smooth,lightly toasty bourbon flavor with an oaky vanilla sort of creaminess. I think next time I'll toast some American oak. That would seem to me to get better oak flavors. But the flavors from the French oak & bourbon in this one has finally gotten out of the forefront taste-wise,so the malt can shine through more.

I ended up just going with regular ol Evan Williams. But I used a whole 750ml bottle.
2 years ago, I made this beer with a pint of Makers Mark and I didnt think it was enough.
We will see how this turns out.

Back