Liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Gators

Reaction score
I need to brew tomorrow or Friday, and I have liquid yeast. I only have one starter vessel. Is it going to be ok to just pitch without making a starter? Thanks guys

24 - 48 hours is plenty of time to make a starter. But if you really don't want to make a starter, I would only pitch a vial or smack pack ( no starter ) into a wort of less then 1.040 ish. It really is worth your time to make one!:)

I will say that I just brewed my first batch last weekend...I didn't have any DME and couldn't make a starter, so I just followed the directions on the Wyeast Smackpack, popped it around 11 AM, it was swollen by 4 pm, and I pitched at 8 pm straight from the smack pack. I had fermentation at 18 hours and strong fermentation at 24 hours. It was an AHS Amber Ale with a OG of 1.050.

I picked up some DME since then and will be making a starter next time though...hopefully this weekend :)

Enderwig is right. You still have plenty of time to make a starter and it helps (fermentation takes off a WHOLE lot faster). But if you can't make a starter, you should still be ok.

If you have the smaller smack pack, I would strongly recommend having a starter.

I put together an article that explains why - you would need as many as 11 of the small smack packs to reach optimal pitching rate for an average ale.

A 1.5-2 liter starter would be great.

Cheers,
Brad

Back