Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are alot alike some are even super close to being the same strains to me its personal choice but I like wyeast cuz of the smack packs

It's a horse a piece, especially if you are making starters and paying attention to pitching rates. But then again, I haven't bought yeast in 3 years.

And I prefer the WL vials. The "proofing" feature of the Smack Pack just seems like a gimmick to me...

And also, you can trade the vials (or even just the labels, I believe) in for free stuff. 10 gets you a free vial of yeast, for example.

For me, the yeasts themselves are similar enough between the two that I make my purchasing decisions based on the packaging. White Lab vials are reusable and recyclable. My homebrew shop has a bin where they collect used vials, so there's less of a chance for waste using the vials vs. the Wyeast packaging that ends up in the trash can. On top of that, the vials are cool and my 3 year old loves to keep them to store tiny rocks, twigs, bugs, or anything else he finds outside. They work great to make small popsicles as well. So when I use liquid yeast, I go with White Labs, unless I'm searching for a particular yeast they don't have.

Back