liquid used in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven9026

Reaction score
Just wondering what most people use in their airlocks. I've been using vodka, and every once in a while a star sans mix.

LOL,, yea, I have seen where someone posted that you can drink whats left in your airlock when the fermentation is done.. I have never tried this though.. LOL

Star San, Vodka, or Iodophor. Depends on what I was using to sanitize during brewing, and if I already dumped the rest before filling the air lock.

I use the cheapest vodka I can find (usually around 8 bucks for a 1.75L bottle).

I was using water but I switched to vodka last batch... it was also my first batch that overflowed into the airlock... lucky me!

Vodka. And I DON'T drink it when fermentation is done...it would taste yucky!

glenn514:mug:

I use Vodka. One for me, then one for the airlock, and then one for the homies. . ;)

It has worked great so far.

Vodka or star san - and I have drank the mini shot of vodka that remains after fermentation. It's hop infused. Sort of. Not very tasty quite honestly.

It's only bad if it gets sucked back into the fermenter. The liquid in the airlock can get sucked back in if there is a significant temperature drop. Otherwise tap water is fine.

A half oz of tap water getting into your beer isn't going to hurt anything. Beer is not that delicate or fragile. I use a pump when I transfer from the kettle to the fermenter after chilling, and I don't like leaving all that perfectly made wort inside the hose and pump, so I flush the thing out with tap water until I see water come out the other side into the fermenter. I basically get a couple cups of tap water into my fermenter every single time I brew.

Also, regardless if what liquid is in the airlock, if it gets sucked in due to the vacuum action of a cooling carboy, your airlock is wide open after that, which is potentially a bigger problem that the liquid that went in.

In my airlock, I use what is convenient. That is often star-san, because I've got a bucket of it sitting there from when I just sanitized the carboy, so I'll put it in the airlock.

If I need to top off the airlock on some future day, i just use tap water.

Also, regardless if what liquid is in the airlock, if it gets sucked in due to the vacuum action of a cooling carboy, your airlock is wide open after that, which is potentially a bigger problem that the liquid that went in.
The reason I use "S" airlocks.

Three piece suck!
he he he . . .

I've had the tap water get sucked back in. Not a big deal at all. Just put more water in it.

I've had the tap water get sucked back in. Not a big deal at all. Just put more water in it.

Sooo... getting all crazy about sanitation and non-sterile things touching my wort after it drops below 180 is horse pookey? :confused: Man, I just got over not worrying about HSA and now this.

Sooo... getting all crazy about sanitation and non-sterile things touching my wort after it drops below 180 is horse pookey? :confused: Man, I just got over not worrying about HSA and now this.

Unless you use well water (and even then it's usually fine) there is nothing unsanitary about tap water. Just make sure the airlock is sanitized.

Latest posts

Back