liquid transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcomito

Reaction score
I brewed in my SS kettle with a 1 1/2gal start. I then filled my bottling bucket with 3 gallons of cold water. Next, I slowly poured the wort into the 3 gallons. I added enough water to make just over 5 gallons. I let the wort cool in the bucket with my floating thermo in it, uncovered until it reached 90. I used the spigot on the bucket to transfer it to ferment in a 6gal glass carboy. The question I have is should I pitch the yeast in the bucket and then transfer, or should I pitch directly into the carboy after the transfer. Also, will it harm the wort to let it fall a couple feet into the carboy? Should I rack it instead?

Interesting dilemma. At first, I was going to say, just rack your wort from the kettle into the carboy and pitch into that, but, if you rack into your bottling bucket first, there are a couple advantages.

a. As the wort chills (I'd chill it a bit before transfering into the plastic), sediment will settle out nicely and somewhat minimize cleanup in the fermenter. There is nothing wrong with just dumping it all in, but it makes cleaning a little easier.

b. When you 'let it fall a couple feet into the carboy', you are aerating it, which you should be doing anyhow.

If it were me, I'd do what you are doing, but pitch the yeast into the carboy before you add the wort. It will mix the yeast in more throughly.

[EDIT/ADD] MAKE SURE you still sanitize everything. It means more stuff to clean/sanitize, but it should work just fine.

You brewed in the kettle, then transferred to the bucket, then to the carboy? Seems like there's one extra transfer in there.

As far as letting the wort fall into the carboy, shouldnt hurt it at all. Probably helping to aerate it, as a matter of fact.

What was the temp of the wort once inside the carboy? 90 seems pretty high for pitching.

I thought of putting the yeast in first, but I was concerned about it getting over stirred. It sounds like I should go with my instincts. I followed the kit instructions and poured the yeast packet into the fermenter(carboy), let stand for 10 min then stirred. Should I bloom the yeast in warm water first like making bread and then put that "bloom" in the carboy and then pour from the spigot to aerate?

Doomsday,
I have been doing a bunch of research and you are right 90 is way too high.

Hmm, sometimes the instructions that come with a kit may not be the most reliable but that is my opinion.

I usually chill my wort in the kettle then remove the hops and transfer directly to the fermentor. I like to let the wort splash into the carbory so I use a funnel, the bucket I just let it pour directly.

I do not re-hydrate when I use dry yeast, I just pour it into the fermentor after the transfer and after aerating and have not had any problems!

Yes Doomsday, 90 was the pitch temp. I now realize that was way high.

So should I put the dry yeast in the carboy and then fill, which would mix and aerate in one step, or should I put the yeast on top after filling the carboy?

So should I put the dry yeast in the carboy and then fill, which would mix and aerate in one step, or should I put the yeast on top after filling the carboy?

put the beer in the fermenter, pitch, aerate. simple as that. 90 is a bit high to pitch, well, more than a bit but it won't kill your yeast. try to get the temps down into the 60s as quick as you can.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
put the beer in the fermenter, pitch, aerate. simple as that. 90 is a bit high to pitch, well, more than a bit but it won't kill your yeast. try to get the temps down into the 60s as quick as you can.

Thanks for the advice. The next batch is going to be even better!

What yeast did you pitch? DanStar calls for rehydrating their dry yeast in water between 86-95 degrees. Fermentis calls for rehydration between 74-86 degrees.

glad I could help jrcomito.

The first thing I built when starting AG batches was an immersion chiller. Then again I only made one extract batch with the kit my wife bought me, then jumped right into AG after I made my mash tun and chiller.

Latest posts

Back