Liquid or dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilbrew247

Reaction score
Any suggestions? Pros/cons...

I'm brewing my first batch with liquid Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

Noticed in transit it had been activated. Is there benefits to using liquid over dry?

liquid yeast provides alot more flavor to your beer, for example, a nice belgian hef yeast provides alot of the banana/clove flavors where dry yeast it wont.

In addition to what the others said, you should definitely consider making a yeast starter, particularly since it sounds like your yeast was shipped.

A great article to read on making yeast starters and pitching rates in general can be found here:

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

In general, making yeast starters is something I do prior to every batch if I'm using a liquid yeast. If I'm using a dry yeast, I rehydrate it prior to pitching. You will find that plenty of homebrewers do neither and are satisfied with their results. IMHO, proper yeast pitching rates and temperature controlled fermentation are the most significant contributors to making excellent homebrew.

In addition to what the others said, you should definitely consider making a yeast starter, particularly since it sounds like your yeast was shipped.

A great article to read on making yeast starters and pitching rates in general can be found here:

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

In general, making yeast starters is something I do prior to every batch if I'm using a liquid yeast. If I'm using a dry yeast, I rehydrate it prior to pitching. You will find that plenty of homebrewers do neither and are satisfied with their results. IMHO, proper yeast pitching rates and temperature controlled fermentation are the most significant contributors to making excellent homebrew.

As I look back over the directions for this recipe, I see they recommended making a yeast starter. I didn't and the OG was only 1.064, but I came very close to hitting my 7% ABV anyway.

Dead Ringer IPA (2).jpg

twilbrew247 said:
As I look back over the directions for this recipe, I see they recommended making a yeast starter. I didn't and the OG was only 1.064, but I came very close to hitting my 7% ABV anyway.

A yeast starter isn't just so that you make sure you hit your FG - your pitch rate effects the taste of the beer. Specifically things like ester production.

Congrats on the brew, hope you enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back