Liquid or Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwan05

Reaction score
First of all whats the difference? Im going to be ordering a belgian wit and texas bock extract kit from AHS. im not sure if i should pay the extra for the liquid yeast or not? whats ur opinion?

you could have probably searched this and gotten 8000 answers, but most people will just say you can get much more variety with liquid yeast, and that they use both depending on what they are making... my recommendation is to stay away from coopers and muntons dry yeast, they never tasted that great for me

You can make great beers with both. If you are just learning it might be better to stay with dry until your have a few brews under your belt. Liquid will give you more choices but there would be additional work to be done (Starters). I am a liquid man and I do not hardly ever use dry unless I am in a pinch.

i`ve just tossed a bag in a 6 gallon batch and ive had friends do the same and it all worked out just fine in the end, starters will just make sure you have plenty of yeast cells for sure and fermentation should start instantly after you pitch it, whereas just tossing the bag in could take a few days to get going

is there a link u could direct me to on what a starter is?

I found Mr Malty's website to be the most thorough description for newbies! He explains what they are, why they're so highly recommended, and how to do them. They are not that difficult but there is a process that requires attention and a time period (24 - 36 hours) before pitching. Dry is definitely easier and will give you great results as well.

But here's the website for ya! :mug:

http://www.mrmalty.com/

For the style beer you are brewing there is no real dry yeast option.

I personally prefer liquid and I always make a starter per mrmalty recommended size.

Its part of my brew routine.

I have brewed a number of beers with dry yeast in the beginning but my beers are MUCH better with liquid yeast.

Back