Liquid below false bottom - grist ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyonbrewer

Reaction score
Hi all...

I use a keg for my mash tun. It has a full width false bottom and a dip tube that goes below the FB.

This setup only leaves a cup or so of liquid behind, but there is probably 1-2 gallons of water space below the FB....will be measuring the exact volume tomorrow.

My question relates to grist ratio. If I would like a ratio if 1.25 qts /lb., how do I account for the 1-2 gallons below the FB?

Would I need to add the 1-2 gallons to my strike volume?

Thanks for you're help!!!

if you add that to your strike volume you change your ratio, but if you dont you may not have enough to cover your grain bed. This is a balance and you may have to adjust your ratio to get enough but not too much.

I have this same issue. i have 2 gallons under mine. I have only brewed once on it so far.... and it was earlier today.

I brewed a stout with 21 lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch and added the 2 gallons to my strike water and i felt it was too much. It was like 1.6x lbs per quart (in total, not what is in contact with the grain) and it was just too watery ... i will need to get used to this and determine how much water to use in different situations.

I will take another few batches to figure out but it will be okay.

Thanks.... I measured it. Its actually only 1 gallon below the FB.

I am going to start with 1.25 ratio plus 1 gallon for the first brew on this rig.

Back