Line length not important with stout faucet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-CHRIS-

Reaction score
i installed a Guinness faucet on my fridge today anticipating my milk stout force carbing in a week or two. I am not ready to buy beer gas yet, so I am going to crank the co2 to 30 psi for dispensing and crank it Down so I don't over carb. Since I am pushing the beer at 30psi and the diffusion disc in the tap is designed to strip most of the carbonation out of the beer I can't see the need for an overly long beer line to reduce pressure. Am I missing something here?

I am carbing my stout at 6psi at 34 degrees, make sense? I think I will raise the temp for serving to 42.

Chris

My stout faucet seems to work best at 35-40psi. I'd think adding resistance beyond the length needed to get from keg to faucet would be counterproductive if the idea is to smash the beer through the restrictor plate...

Cheers!

Most nitro faucets tend to work best at pressures in the 30-40 psi range at the faucet, and line length doesn't really matter much. They also tend to work best with carb levels in the 1.2-1.8 vol range. Over 2.0 vol and they tend to create a foamy mess, and under 1.0 doesn't create the desired effect. If you let it carb fully at 34° and 6 psi you'll be flirting with being overcarbed for the faucet, especially with periodic bursts of high pressure from serving without beergas. I'd also suggest keeping the serving temp at or under 40° if you're going to use a carb level on the higher side like that. The warmer the beer is, the more it'll want to make a foamy mess.

Great this is what I thought. Sounds like I should raise the temp to around 39 degrees and reduce my co2 pressure. What temps/carb pressures are you guys using? My tap rite regulator starts at 4 psi I think, does it make sense to replace the gauge with a more sensitive one? I can't really dial in 3 psi with any accuracy.

Chris

Great this is what I thought. Sounds like I should raise the temp to around 39 degrees and reduce my co2 pressure. What temps/carb pressures are you guys using? My tap rite regulator starts at 4 psi I think, does it make sense to replace the gauge with a more sensitive one? I can't really dial in 3 psi with any accuracy.

Chris

i carb at room temp (65) at about 6psi. it'll take a little longer but not as easy to overcarb at higher temps.

Back