Line balancing... Confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mateo

Reaction score
Ok so I am not sure what I got going on here.

Symptoms:

Foam all the time.

Conditions

PSI 13
48F

Tap line 3 feet
1/4" ID insert in dip tube.

The beer just comes out too fast and foams up.

If I dump the pressure down to 2 psi it comes out slow and is carbed at about 2.2 volumes. No Foam and its perfect.

I cannot go any colder nor do I want to.

What will increased line do for me? I looked up in the tap tower and it looks like the line is crimped on.

Suggestions??? I thought about the epoxy things, but worry about them.

m.

Well, I think the #1 issue to deal with is the 1/4" ID line. That type of beverage line has very little to no resistance. 1/4" is used more for longer runs (+25'), so I would first say 'downgrade' (though it's a better line) to some 3/16" line. This will provide the correct type of resistance you'll need.
Aside from that I think you should also increase the line length to a much larger/longer line. I think most here would recommend and swear by 10+ feet of line to eliminate any foam issues. With that setup you should eliminate most foaming issues (although I would say if you can reduce your beer temp by +8 degrees or so it would help also, but not totally necessary).

Merlin-CO's got it. 3' of 1/4" line provides almost no resistance. I normally serve at 10psi and I'm using 10' of 3/16" line and it works great. You need to go longer and change to 3/16" line.

I'm running 10' of 3/16" line @ 13-14 psi 45F. It works fine, could easily cut it down a few feet and still be ok. The beer that sits in the excess line length tends to get warmer and therefor it's best to dial it in as best you can and go with the right length for your

Please forgive me. Its 1/4" OD Poly tubing in the dip tube. The line is 3/16" from the out to the tap tower.

I guess I got to figure out how to change the line from the tap tower.

I've tried the poly line in the dip tube trick and it MAY be the equivalent of a slightly longer serving line, but not by much. Even with it installed, I'd suggest at least 7' of line. Start longer.

It's probably got an Otiker clamp on the line at the tower. It's basically a one time use clamp that is crimped on. Cut it off, use a regular hose clamp on the new one.

two of my taps have 10' 3/16 lines. no foaming ever.
one of my taps has like 5' 3/16 lines (don't ask, i'm still confused as to why this happened). this foams a bit but usually not terrible.

Just in case you don't have enough opinions: 10' of 3/16 line. Cut the old one off, attach new one. Don't attempt to splice old to new.

Bobby,

Thanks for the update. I installed the 1/4"OD tube based off of an old post that you talked about. It did reduce the flow, but not by much.

I have pulled my tap tower and have it at work with me. I looked up inside and there is NO clamp at all. Its the barbs that I could see through the plastic that I thought was a clamp. I am going to start with 20' of line and see what I get.

I just have to find a tap tower wrench. Out of the two LHBS in my neighborhood one of them should have it.

Does any commercial place sell a wrench for a tap tower other than the LHBS?

m.

like most stated, you need longer lines. I have 2 10' lines and never an issue with 12 psi serving pressure. I just dropped mine to 10 to test out with my two new beers i kegged and will see how that does but i cant imagine it would be a bad thing.

Bobby,

Thanks for the update. I installed the 1/4"OD tube based off of an old post that you talked about. It did reduce the flow, but not by much.

I have pulled my tap tower and have it at work with me. I looked up inside and there is NO clamp at all. Its the barbs that I could see through the plastic that I thought was a clamp. I am going to start with 20' of line and see what I get.

I just have to find a tap tower wrench. Out of the two LHBS in my neighborhood one of them should have it.

Does any commercial place sell a wrench for a tap tower other than the LHBS?

m.

Here is one: http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=174661&source=base but it is kind of expensive. If it were me I'd probably try to make my own by taking a dremel tool to a box end wrench.

Gents,

Got is sussed out.

3 dollar 1" 1/16th spanner from Mo-Money Pawn Shawp in PHX.

20' of 3/16th line from Brewer's Connection

and all is good. I did have to buy a 10" socket extension and socket from Lowers to get the clamp on as I could not pass the spanner end over it.

All is good and the Pilsner is flowing!!!

m.

Back