Light Malt v. Wheat (DME)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhoffma

Reaction score
So I accidentally picked up half light malt & wheat DME for a recipe that called for all wheat... any idea how much & how this will change the outcome? I noticed this right when I was getting set to add the malt, so went ahead anyway with the recipe, but was wondering what to expect.

Thanks!

So I accidentally picked up half light malt & wheat DME for a recipe that called for all wheat... any idea how much & how this will change the outcome? I noticed this right when I was getting set to add the malt, so went ahead anyway with the recipe, but was wondering what to expect.

Thanks!

All the wheat malt extracts that I know of are a mix of wheat and barley. Some brands are 50/50, and some are 65/35. Even AG wheat beers generally are a mix of barley and wheat. Few wheat beers are more than 40-50% wheat. So, you got the right stuff, I'm sure!

half of it (the one Im calling wheat) was labeled something like 50/50 or 55/45 wheat/barley. the other I accidentally got was just labeled light malt extract.... either way I doubt it will hurt the beer too much

Probably not, but yeah, all wheat beers are usually 50/50 or even 60B/40W.

im gonna be making a Paulaner clone, and its 1 pound of light dme and 5pounds of wheat, and 1/2 pound of munich malt grain, some hallertauer...

so the ingredients your using aren't out of line on a wheat beer...

Back