Light/Dark Wheat Beer: My Story of An Accidental Specialty Grain Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckMoney

Reaction score
Original Recipe: 10L (2.64 G) Boil

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 75.0 %
1 lbs Simpsons Golden Naked Oats. 10° L.(10.0 SRM) Grain 12.5 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 12.5 %
0.50 oz Centennial [9.30%] (60 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.60%] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
5.50 gal Local Water Water
1 Pkgs East Coast Ale (White Labs #WLP008) Yeast-Ale (500mL Starter)

Estimated OG 1.045, 19.2 IBU, 8.2 SRM

However, somehow I accidentally replaced the white wheat malt with the same amount of 25L Gambrinus Honey Malt, and ended up with 10.2 SRM.

I don't usually make such a big deal of fitting into styles and what not, but I haven't ever seen a wheat beer this color before. Its about the same color as a Bass.

Well anyways, heres my question:
Since I've only used the Honey malt in small proportions and in much darker beers, what effects other than color will this have on this batch of beer? Normally, this is a very very crisp beer, with a smooth mouthfeel and a moderatly hoppy aroma, but not much hop taste, just about noticable. The last few batches of this beer I've had ferment down to 1.009-1.006 ( I use harvested yeast starters), so it ends up pretty dry most of the time too. I'm trying to avoid this beer ending up too sweet, as its meant to be a summer beer.

Any input would be much appriciated.

I've used honey malt before and like the results. However, I've never used 1# (you replaced equal amount?), only around 8 ounces. I think you'll be fine. Let it go and call it a honey wheat.

Its already 19.2 IBU, which is on the high side for a wheat beer. I don't think I'll dry hop as the only whole leaf hops I have are high AA hops such as centennial and columbus. I'm thinking that if its two sweet that there are peaches in season that aren't exactly ripe yet(still pretty tart) I might just grab a few lbs of them 4-5 cook em up and toss em in the secondary. It won't be the first time I've had to fruit a beer to keep the right flavor profile. I love the way a tart peach will add a little flavor and keep the beer crisp.

I don't think you'll have a problem with the IBU/malt balance. I suspect the honey malt will dominate the flavor, but not in a bad way.

So my fermentation has been static for about 5 days now. Last night, I decided to rack about a gallon of it off over some rum soaked peaches that have been "sanitizing" for a week in some brugal rum that I brought back from the dominican republic. Gonna leave it over the peaches for about 2 more weeks, and hopefully bottle the rest a week from today

Back