Light colored Extract beers. Possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roastglint

Reaction score
Is it even possible to get a really nice pale or straw colored beer using extract? I've tried late additions, shorter boils, ect. I'm in the process of acquiring the all grain equipment but in the mean time i'll probably brew a few extracts. Should I just stop trying to get straw and pale beers till I go all all grain or am I missing something?

These are the fermentables for a saison I make. You can read news print through a glass of it.
3.15 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
- 1 lb Pilsen dry malt extract
- 1 lb Wheat dry malt extract

Totally possible. I do it all the time. In fact, I put my extract altbier up against my AG altbier. Absolutely the same.

I don't know what to tell you that may help your color.

I've used plain extra light DME in the boil for hop additions. Then pilsen LME at flame out to keep colors lighter.

I've just recently achieved a nice, clear, straw colored IPA using extract. I just read in BYO also to use mostly DME as opposed to LME for lighter color as the liquid form darkens easier in the kettle. I also shortened my boil to 30 min. Are you able to do a full wort boil? That will also help. Lastly move most of your extract to a late addition.

What... like this? This was using "golden light" DME, 15% @ Start of boil, rest at flameout... before I went to AG.

Would have been even lighter had I used pilsner.

253758d1422986359-new-post-picture-your-pint-img_2855.jpg

You can make a fine beer with no boil. If the extract is still in the package from the manufacturer it is sterile, or very close, so boiling is not required. Boiling extracts will produce maillard reactions that will darken the beer and add a malty or caramelized flavor.

It makes sense that late addition would help color. I myself haven't tried that but I've read numerous threads recommending it.

I've made a few wits that have turned out very light in color. Make sure you're stirring regularly during the boil.

Also, interesting experiment, but I didn't secondary my last wit and it turned out lighter than the others. Brewing the same recipe this weekend and using the same method.

Back