Light Beer recipe or kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaronh2500

Reaction score
All,

I enjoy making and drinking darkers beers. But does anyone have any suggestions or recipes for a light domestic tasting brew? I would like to make something that most of my friends and family would enjoy as well. They just can't handle some of the "heavier" beers that I make.

If you can make All Grain I have a pretty good light recipe in my drop down - I make it every 5-6 weeks.

If you make extract batches, Muntun's American Style Light beer can-kit made with Rice Syrup comes out about like a Milwaukees Best Light. Its pretty decent.

If you can make All Grain I have a pretty good light recipe in my drop down - I make it every 5-6 weeks.

If you make extract batches, Muntun's American Style Light beer can-kit made with Rice Syrup comes out about like a Milwaukees Best Light. Its pretty decent.

I have not tried an all-grain batch yet, but i would not be against it. Is the Munton's pre-hopped?

oh this is the kit I was talking about:

Austin Homebrew Supply

I made it once with 1# of rice syrup and 1# Light DME and it was pretty good. My brother and law and I drank most of it over a weekend. I've made it a couple times since then, but I just use 1# rice syrup and the 5oz of priming sugar in the primary because I don't need it for priming - I keg it. That comes to what 1 and 1/3 #s extra sugar ?? Anyway - thats plenty for this kit, its supposed to be a light beer anyway. I think its much better that way - don't add 2#s that seems like too much if youre going for light.

oh and yes, it is pre-hopped. But its hopped like a light beer, I suppose about 10 IBUs ?? something like that - its not hopped to the point of it tasting hoppy. Think Natural Light, Busch Light, etc...

Also, I wouldn't confuse a dark beer as not being a light beer. Look at Guiness weighing at like 4.2% and 125 calories.

The whole myth of the color portraying how potent the beer is just doesn't work but a lot of people seem to use it.

Here is a really light, really easy one:

4.00lbs Extra Light DME
1.00lbs Rice Syrup Solids
1.50lbs Corn Sugar

0.75oz Cluster 6.9% @ 60m
0.50oz Saaz @ 5m

For an ale, use US-05 or Nottingham yeast, and ferment around 60*F, not much higher.

I have made a very light lager using this recipe and S-23.

ABV will be about 5.2%.

:mug:

Also, I wouldn't confuse a dark beer as not being a light beer. Luke at Guiness weighing at like 4.2% and 125 calories.

The whole myth of the color portraying how potent the beer is just doesn't work but a lot of people seem to use it.

+1 I always laugh when someone tries my cream ale with Carafa Special III in it for a nice black color. Comes across as something between Bud and Gennie, but black.

Any chance I can get the recipe for your black light beer? I've been very intrigued by making a dark beer that is deceptively light.

Back