Light and Dark Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Brewer

Reaction score
I recently built an electric brewery and need to fill my 9 tap kegerator. I'm thinking of a yeast experiment and would like help with recipe formulation. I want to brew two ten gallon batches this weekend and split it between two yeasts each. One will be a light colored beer and the other darker. I'm very OK with different dry hop conditions and late sugar additions. I'm having a party and I'd love to show people how different two beers can be made with essentially the same ingredients.

For the light beer I'm thinking brett saison and imperial pilsner. Large pilsner grain bill but may be too simple for a brett saison. Certainly was going to dry hop or even hop stand the saison after drawing off the pilsner gallons. Recipe help and ideas?

For the dark beer, I'm thinking a strong dark Belgian ale and an Oktoberfest from the same wort. One of these would have an atypical grain bill but would benefit from bittering hops only. Again please help with recipe and ideas to make this an interesting party.

A traditional pilsner and saison are just pilsner malt and saaz hops, so I think that's fairly easy. The brett saison flavor will be largely driven by the yeast, so a simple grain bill is ok. If you want a little more complexity, I like rye in saisons as well as pilsners. I really enjoy this pils recipe:

8lbs Pilsner malt
2lbs Rye malt
1/2lb aromatic

1oz Saaz @ 60
1oz Saaz @ 30
1oz Saaz @ 15
1oz Saaz @ whirlpool 30 mins
1.5oz Sorachi Ace @ whirlpool 30 mins
2oz Sorachi Ace @ dry hop 4 days

Its not "imperial" by any means, but it is a great beer. Maybe you can up the grain amounts if you want more alcohol

The dark beer is a little tougher. You might be able to brew up an oktoberfest and then add candi syrup to the BDSA fermenter only. Something like this:

5lbs Vienna
4lbs Pilsner
3lbs Munich
1/2lb Caramunich
**1lb D-180 (for BDSA only)

1.5oz Hallertau @ 60
.5oz Hallertau @ 10

Both recipes are for 5.5 gallons, so you'll have to scale accordingly

I've made a Belgian Pale and a Dubbel from the same wort, same yeast. Just added dark candi syrup to the Dubbel, dry hopped the pale. I just made a Belgian Wheat and a Wheat Saison from the same wort, different yeasts. I can post the recipes if you like.

Maybe for the dark strong, save the last gallon or two and boil it down, careful not to scotch to and some extra character from increased maillard reaction. Will even make the two brews a different color, but same wort.
Also, maybe party gyle. I made a RIS and Belgian pale ale from the same wort by steeping the roasted and dark grains. Only caramel and base malt went in the tun. Collected 15g of first runnings, steeped the roasted grains in 2g collected after 30 minutes, and save 2g for second batch(pale).

Back