Lifetime of milled grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhawk

Reaction score
So I just assembled my mash tun (big thanks to FlyGuy, a man to whom many of us are indebted) and the closest homebrew shop is 2 hrs away. I don't have a mill, but the guy said he could mill it for me, no problem. If I am looking at buying 50+ lbs of grain, how long will that last after it has been milled, assuming I store it in a cool, dry place? Thanks.

The crushed grain if properly stored should last several months. Since you are already buying in bulk I would save up for a mill and grind when you brew. This way you can also save by ordering larger quantities of specialty grains as well.

I've got the money, it is the space that is the issue. Small apartment + cluttery wife. So long as the first 50 lb base grain will last a couple of months once milled I will be good. Moving soon so then I can have my own brewing room.

If it is sealed well and kept in a cool dry place it should be good for a couple months at least. For a second I thought you had won a lifetime supply of milled grain when i read the title, haha.

Yes, barley crusher all the way. I know what you mean about clutter, but it fits on top of your kitchen cabinets. Its not a big unit, at least with the standard size hopper.

I can't find it now, but on here someone put together a milling station that fits on top of a 5-gallon bucket and then when he's done using it, everything fits inside the bucket for storage. Might be the way to go for ya.

I can't find it now, but on here someone put together a milling station that fits on top of a 5-gallon bucket and then when he's done using it, everything fits inside the bucket for storage. Might be the way to go for ya.

The barley crusher would do that. Take the hopper off, put it in the bucket. Keep the actual mill on top of said bucket. It would add about 1 inch to the top of a normal bucket...thus taking up very little room. Just a thought.

The barley crusher would do that. Take the hopper off, put it in the bucket. Keep the actual mill on top of said bucket. It would add about 1 inch to the top of a normal bucket...thus taking up very little room. Just a thought.

My God, man! I've had my BC for two months and never thought of removing the hopper to store it in the bucket! Why did no one tell me of this sooner?!!!?!

Thanks for the idea. :mug:

Back