LifeSource House Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MockY

Reaction score
I recently moved to a new house, away from a pretty darn good water, to a well water situation. It's very hard so the house is equipped with a LifeSource house filter to soften it. No added salts in other words.

Does anyone have any experience with this system? Would I do a water test on the well water before or after the filter?

Not familiar with the system. My suggestion would be to test water however you're going to use it. Pre filtration may give more consist results if the water source is stable. Over time the filtration system will need maintenance, and numbers will drift. I'm not advocating to use pre filtration water either though, as the filters may do an excellent job at giving you better starting water.

Just something to know and keep in mind

If I recall the Life Source filter is good for about 10 years. Our water in WY hasn't been that good so I installed one when I built the house. I never actually tasted much difference in the water. It is basically a charcoal filter. After 10 years I took it apart. Looked like charcoal and glass beads. I just use a charcoal filter now. The Life Source filter is really expensive when purchased new. They were about $3,000 20 years ago. They can be reconditioned after 10 years. It did not soften my water and did not change the taste so I added an RO. Since I am on a well I use bottled water for my beer and wine.

Back