Lid blown off during ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osprey12

Reaction score
I've attached a picture but basically my blow off hose was kinked and made my lid blow in my fermentation chamber. It had probably been like that all night before I checked it in the morning. My concerns are what should I look for during the rest of the fermentation to decide if I should toss it and not bother wasting the 3 oz of citra dry hops I have planned. It just seems like there is no way it didn't get infected right? Thanks!

IMG_3322.jpg

Nah...its just fine...it all gushed out really and is still producing co2 in gobs.. so nothing really can get sucked back in to hurt much of anything. It will be just fine. Hop away when ready.

Looks like you even lucked out..not much mess..:)

Put the lid back on, unclog the tube and it will be fine. Like Stillraining said, everything is going out, doubt anything got into your fermenter.

I've attached a picture but basically my blow off hose was kinked and made my lid blow in my fermentation chamber. It had probably been like that all night before I checked it in the morning. My concerns are what should I look for during the rest of the fermentation to decide if I should toss it and not bother wasting the 3 oz of citra dry hops I have planned. It just seems like there is no way it didn't get infected right? Thanks!
That thick layer of krausen and the fact that your fermentation was so vigorous and healthy should have kept any nasties out. Clean the top of the fermenter, seal it up and let it finish. When you check your FG you can taste it to see if you detect an infection (you'll know) before you dry hop.

You can open ferment for up to 5 days with no issues. There's a cool brewingTV episode on it. Check it out. Dry hop away!

Latest posts

Back