Letting the newly born beer age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abear79

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When aging bottled beer. Is it good to let it go until all the priming sugar gone off the bottom of the bottle. And should I gently rotate the bottles until I work the sugar back in?

Abear79

Are you adding priming sugar directly to the bottles? If so, no worries about rotating them, the yeasties will find the sweet stuff. If you are adding sugar to the bottle, might I suggest boiling a cup or two of water, adding the sugar to that, and then mixing it into your batch before bottling. Your consistency will improve.

The sugar is actually consumed by the residual yeast and what remains at the bottom should be the spent residual yeast, not sugar.

You should be bulk priming each batch, take a cup of water, boil and add measured priming sugar to dissolve, add simple sugar syrup to bottling bucket and rack the beer onto it to self mix, then bottle. If you are simply trying to measure sugar for each bottle you risk inconsistent carbonation and the possibility of bottle bombs due to over carbonation. Or flat beer due to under carbonation.

That's what I done. Made the priming sugar. Put it in the bottling bucket, added the beer, then bottled

Abear79

Then what's on the bottom is yeast, not sugar. Sounds like it's perfectly normal. I'd let it stay at room temperature for 2 weeks or so before chilling. Depending on the beer style you may or may not need to let it age some more after that.

That's what I done. Made the priming sugar. Put it in the bottling bucket, added the beer, then bottled

Abear79

Then what you are seeing at the bottom is the settled yeast. How long have they been bottled and at what temp? They may be ready tonpop in the fridge😉

As in bottled today? If that's the case you may have sucked up a little too much trub while racking. Should be alright in the end, next time try to stop the siphon when you're not getting clear beer through the lines. Give it at least 2 weeks at room temp and a few days in the fridge. If it's high gravity or something unique it might benefit from a few months before hitting the fridge.

ROFL. Then again it might be LOL influenced by current beer intake. Vacation FTW!

Anyways that would certainly be yeast on the bottom of the bottles, and I almost guarantee they're done fermenting the priming sugar. Unless for some reason they're 12%ers. Toss a couple in the fridge and sample tomorrow. Pour slowly without gurgling and when you see the yeast starting to come up the neck of the bottle stop the pour. Should only lose a couple tablespoons. Certain yeast strains will compact after a while and you can entirely up-end the bottle and not pour yeast.

Others usually state that they should spend at least a week in the fridge to ensure all possible carbonation from the headspace is forced into the beer. I disagree. I've had plenty poured from room temp just fine. I also tend to prefer lower carbonated styles, so that may have an influence in the works.

What Zepth said. Your beer's done. Chill and enjoy. It may be a bit hazy to start with, but a short while (a few days) in the fridge should clear it, and drinking it hazy won't affect the taste at all.

Back