Lets talk SMESH for a minute.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvisinho

Reaction score
Who is smeshing right now?

What are you experimenting with?
Ive been googling smash and smesh for days and keep finding the same threads from multiple boards.

Unless im blind, did i miss a sticky or thread of peoples smesh recipes, variants or experiments over the years?

I started looking and was sold on doing a citra smesh with maris.

Then my brain started spinning while looking at other LME's...

I understand the purpose is to understand malts and hops but has anyone made variants with other ingredients or fruit?

I was thinking mosaic smesh with maybe some kind of fruit in secondary etc etc something complimentary.

This is my favorite reply from you.

I just kicked the keg on a Mosaic SMaSH, more of an IPA SMaSH and I brewed an Amarillo SMaSH, just like the Mosaic but different hops obviously. It is cold crashing right now.

Citra, when you boil with it, sometimes has flavors of what people seem to call cat piss. Read around and I think it'll make some sense. I am not saying not to do it, people have, but research that one if you'd like. If you add anything else to it then it's not a SMaSH...it could be a SMESH though...Single Malt, Everything Else, Single Hop. Maybe you're onto something.

Thinking SMESH is referencing Single Malt Extract Single Hop....

What kind of raw material? Like a recipe or scientific data discussing whether you can consider adding adjuncts to a SMaSH recipe and still call it a SMaSH?

I prefer SHaME for that acronym.

Single Hop and Malt Extract.

(I am not making fun of anyone who does this. I have done it and think the name is great and more tongue-in-cheek)

So would a more complex extract recipe be a METH*?

I knew you guys were up to no good with all that stainless stuff, brewing up METH.

*Malt Extract, Two Hops. Or Three, I guess.

Maybe my verbiage is wrong
Whether it be smash. smesh. shame or meth
im just curious what anyone has tried brewing with a single hop and any particular single type of malt. whether it be MO, rye malt, dark malt, whatever.

Im sure we can all agree that citra and MO is a solid choice.

OP... do you just want your beer to have a fancy acronym?

To me, SMaSH means, single malt, single hop... nothing else.

Why not just brew your beer, and name it whatever you want? Even SMaSH brews will fall under some category, be it an IPA/APA, mild, blonde, bitter, etc.

i am so far from wanting a name for it.

Just want to know what people have experimented with and if its good or not.

I prefer SHaME for that acronym.

Single Hop and Malt Extract.

(I am not making fun of anyone who does this. I have done it and think the name is great and more tongue-in-cheek)

I like SHaME too. One of my crowd pleasers is a Mosaic Maris Otter SHaME.

In the single malt single hop realm, I've really enjoyed NB's Smash American Session Ale.

It's composed of 6lbs of Pils LME and 3 oz. of Simcoe Hops. Really enjoyable, real easy to drink, haven't had a complaint yet, this is my second time brewing it.

I have thought doing some SHaME. My first few brews were single hops so I could get an idea of the flavors but I did throw in some steeping grains. IMHO that to be a SHAME one would have to do it with extra light extract since the darker stuff has other grains in it.

Latest posts

Back