Let's talk pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schultan

Reaction score
I am in the process of upgrading my brewery and will soon require a pump. Just curious as to what everyone uses, if the like it, and how much it costed. Thanks.

The March 809 is the brewer standard but there are other pumps out there. I just picked up a Laing 1212-sm-26-st which is basically i super high end stainless version of the march pump for $70 on Ebay. most of the Laing pumps would work well and are much cheaper. In addition, Teel pumps are nice and have the same advantage (no homebrewer competition).

You want a magnetic drive pump (aka circulation, seal-less, centrifugal) with a head made of a material that can withstand boiling liquids without degrading. You want one that can pump at least 12 feet of head (maybe 8).

I like looking for industrial brands because you can find better deals. The pump I just picked up retails for $450, so $70 was a nice price.

Good luck on the search. Laing has a pretty good website for researching their pumps.

p.s. the old "best brewing" pump was the Teel 1P956 I saw one on Ebay a while ago and it went for $35, I was outbid at the last minute :(

Yeah, I have the march 809 and it's good but as previously stated it kind of takes some fiddling to figure out how to get it primed. Also, if there's a bunch of liquid on the "out" side putting back pressure on the pump it won't want to work. As I recommend in a different thread a couple minutes ago, do a water brew first once you get the pump installed to get everything figured out before it actually counts.

Latest posts

Back