Let's see some clear wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Kroosz

Reaction score
1605106997356.png

Scottish Export. 1.048 OG

Last edited:
Are those pre- or post-cooling? Wort cooled to pitching temp should be quite hazy because of good cold break formation.

But it might equal other things... Some level of trub is perfectly fine. But for certain styles and other aspects of beer it might not be ideal..

View attachment 705974
For nutrient hungry yeast, good levels of trub might actually be essential for a healthy fermentation. Thinking of certain kveiks for example.

Yeah post cooling on the way to the Fermenter. My ground water is very cold so I can leave most of the cold break in the kettle.

Yeah post cooling on the way to the Fermenter. My ground water is very cold so I can leave most of the cold break in the kettle.
No you can't unless you let the wort decant possibly for several days which would be unsafe. How do you cool your wort?

No you can't unless you let the wort decant possibly for several days which would be unsafe. How do you cool your wort?

That is wort at 53*.. it’s already cleared.

I use an Immersion and CFC at the same time. Wort gets to 53 in the kettle before it’s pumped out then cooled to 46 for lagers. Wort looks similar for ale pitching when it leaves the kettle at 62.

That is wort at 53*.. it’s already cleared.

I use an Immersion and CFC at the same time. Wort gets to 53 in the kettle before it’s pumped out then cooled to 46 for lagers. Wort looks similar for ale pitching when it leaves the kettle at 62.
It's impossible for cold break to have settled unless you've waited way too long before pumping into the FV. There is a distinct possibility though that you might experience poor cold break formation which is something that should be avoided and is usually the result of slow cooling.

It's impossible for cold break to have settled unless you've waited way too long before pumping into the FV. There is a distinct possibility though that you might experience poor cold break formation which is something that should be avoided and is usually the result of slow cooling.

It takes maybe 30 minutes to get to this temp from a sub 180 WP temp and the wort is slowly pumped into the fermenter. It can take an hour or so to get all the wort in there as all break material and hops creates a pretty crazy filter bed so flow is not overly fast. I guarantee you this wort would not go hazy from cold break formation.

I believe you, and the reason is that cooling is quite slow. There appears to be a misconception, and this thread testifies to that, that wort pre-fermentation should be crystal clear. This is only half right or half wrong, depending on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist.
If it's crystal clear after boil and prior to cooling that is a good thing as this means that there was good hot break formation and separation (flocculation). If it's clear after cooling then it's bad because it means that there was poor cold break formation and this affects beer quality negatively.
Cold break particles are 0.5 to 1.0 micron in diameter, which is a tenth or even less than a tenth the size of an average yeast cell. At that size and with wort's viscosity their settling rate is measured in centimeters per hour. It would take a lot more than an hour for the wort in your boil kettle to even partly clear from sedimentation alone. This is however a non-issue as cold break gets adsorbed by yeast and is fully removed by the end of fermentation, provided there was good cold break formation in the first place.

Have we had this thread before? The one where one guy says "I do it this way" and the other guys says, " I don't so your wrong" and the first guys says my way works fine for me" and the other guy says, " No it doesn't"

OH well!.
As for me. Many of my brews make clear wort - Many do not. As long as the end product is good beer and does not come out looking too much like the trendy sludge beers I am HAPPY!

The OP doesn’t specify if they did, but I use 1/2 Whirlfloc tablet in all my full volume no sparge BIAB boils and almost always get clear wort into the fermenter after the wort is cooled to ale pitching temps in 15-20 minutes and a 30 minute rest before racking. Isn’t that the purpose of boil kettle fining agents?
Like them or not, a Brulosophy experiment was conducted using Whirlfloc and it was determined that using it did make a noticeable difference in wort clarity as well as final beer clarity over time compared to a batch brewed without. Tasters were, however, unable to detect a noticeable difference in taste.
0F0051BF-340F-420D-BE05-9397E8E026EA.jpeg66B9B5F7-2C4E-4133-A9C1-1064509FB015.jpeg

hmmm, i plan on brewing a porter-ish beer tomorrow. i'll have to remember to scrub my cylinder good and post a pic! ;)

View attachment 706313

Post chill :)35 mins to 16C/61F), after :20 min whirlpool, just prior to pumping from BV to FV. OG 1.056.

Looks pretty clear, but was isn't clear is whether I should be pleased or upset. (sigh).

Brooo Brother
Its beer to be!!!!! BE PLEASED!

After about three days: I am not sure if it is wort or beer.

Attachments

• Wort12.jpg
    Wort12.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 26
Back