Let's put lipstick on a pig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJIVin

Reaction score
Northern brewer was having a sale on extract kits some months back, so I bought three. I intended to get three different kinds, but accidentally got two "bourbon barrel porter" kits. I wasn't terribly happy with the first, it wasn't bad but was almost oppressively oaky.
I'm gonna brew soon and want to use the second kit as a base for something else. I'd like to experiment with adding additional flavors or sources of sugar. The hops that came with the recipe are a bit old at this point, so I'll buy some fresh ones, I'm flexible what kinds I get. I haven't bought yeast, but would like to just use a basic ale yeast I can get locally without having to drive to a shmancy brew store an hour away. Otherwise I have
A grain blend (1lb english chocolate malt, .5lb english dark crystal, .5lb english black malt)
2lbs wheat dried malt extract,
6.3lbs dark malt extract syrup
Thanks for any suggestions!

Leave out the oak and bourbon and just do a porter?

or play around with spices and do a Christmas porter ( no oak.... bourbon optional)

I'd like to replace the oak and bourbon with something. A christmas porter sounds good, or I might just chuck a bunch of vanilla in it and call it a day.

are you looking to keep it steeping grains only or are you open to a mini-mash?

are you looking to keep it steeping grains only or are you open to a mini-mash?
Normally I'd be up for the mini mash, but I've got a lot on my plate at the moment, so I think I'm gonna try to keep it simple. I've never mashed before and now wouldn't be a very convenient time to learn.

well then, i'd sub out half of the chocolate malt for pale chocolate, add 1/2 pound either caravienne or caramunich, and 1/4-1/2 # dark brown sugar or piloncillo. chuck in a few vanilla beans as well.

if you're looking to get crazy, you can toss in some coconut extract and a splash of rum at bottling time. or ferment with hefe yeast to get some wild esters in there.

well then, i'd sub out half of the chocolate malt for pale chocolate, add 1/2 pound either caravienne or caramunich, and 1/4-1/2 # dark brown sugar or piloncillo. chuck in a few vanilla beans as well.

if you're looking to get crazy, you can toss in some coconut extract and a splash of rum at bottling time. or ferment with hefe yeast to get some wild esters in there.
Unfortunately the specialty malts are pre-mixed so I can't sub out any of the grains. I like the idea of adding sugars, I was toying with the idea of molasses but brown sugar sounds more straightforward. I'm not sure I can get caravienne or caramunich locally, but I'll try. All the other suggestions sound great.

I bought and brewed the Bourbon Barrel Porter from NB myself and found it terrible. But, I did not throw it away. I am glad I didn't because I opened one up a few weeks ago and damn!!!! it was great!

The abovementioned suggestion of a split ferment is pretty cool. Get some cocoa nibs & lightly roasted coffee beans to bring forward the roasty notes in the malts would be cool. Maybe some vanilla, and since you don't seem afraid of adjuncts, add some lactose for body..

I bought and brewed the Bourbon Barrel Porter from NB myself and found it terrible. But, I did not throw it away. I am glad I didn't because I opened one up a few weeks ago and damn!!!! it was great!
I had the same experience. Out of the gates I was disappointed. It was drinkable but nothing to get excited about. After 3 months in the bottle it is soooo good! Next time will make in September to be ready for the holiday’s.

Northern brewer was having a sale on extract kits some months back, so I bought three. I intended to get three different kinds, but accidentally got two "bourbon barrel porter" kits. I wasn't terribly happy with the first, it wasn't bad but was almost oppressively oaky.
I'm gonna brew soon and want to use the second kit as a base for something else. I'd like to experiment with adding additional flavors or sources of sugar. The hops that came with the recipe are a bit old at this point, so I'll buy some fresh ones, I'm flexible what kinds I get. I haven't bought yeast, but would like to just use a basic ale yeast I can get locally without having to drive to a shmancy brew store an hour away. Otherwise I have
A grain blend (1lb english chocolate malt, .5lb english dark crystal, .5lb english black malt)
2lbs wheat dried malt extract,
6.3lbs dark malt extract syrup
Thanks for any suggestions!

If you didn't open them and kept them properly stored in the freezer they'll be good to use for far longer than a few months. I wouldn't have any concerns using hops for this that have been stored for several years.

Back