Lessons learned building a brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I'd like for everyone to be able to post what they wish they had done differently to help others like myself that want to build another or their first stand to keep from wasting their time and money. For instance, do you wish you had used 2inch tubing rather than 1inch, stainless over steel, steel over wood, build it lower to the ground, etc.

I'll start. I built my first brewery cart around a harbor freight push cart. I need to pass through the house to the back yard to get to where I brew since my side yard is quite steeply graded. MAKE SURE THE CART ISN'T TOO BIG TO FIT THROUGH THE DOOR!!! Your turn.

I'm thinking about building up a brew stand and I had thought about using a cart as a base. Do you have any pics of your setup?

I wasted money going cheap on casters and had to replace them very quickly. These things get heavy quick - don't scrimp on casters.

I had began brewing outdoors, but quickly concluded that wind played a pivotal role in maintaining tempratures. My original brewstant was a 3 teir gravity welded together frane i made from pipe laying around the property that will not fit indoors. I kind of just use tables and blocks right now till i can devise a new stand that will be more versital.

If you're going to weld up a frame, go full stainless and never look back.

Seriously, by the time I had put a bazillion coats of "2000°" header paint primer and color on - and then pay a shop to oven-cure the damned thing - it would have been no more expensive to just go 1-1/2" square 14ga stainless instead of the mild steel tubing of the same size/ga.

And never having to worry about up-keep...

Cheers! :mug:

I built my 3 tier wooden sculpture for a propane fired HLT, 10 gallon cooler mash tun and 10 gallon BK on a SP10 burner. I first ran 2x4s past the HLT burner. They burst into flame the first brew. I cut them below the burner and mounted it on metal. No problems since.

If you're going to weld up a frame, go full stainless and never look back.

Seriously, by the time I had put a bazillion coats of "2000°" header paint primer and color on - and then pay a shop to oven-cure the damned thing - it would have been no more expensive to just go 1-1/2" square 14ga stainless instead of the mild steel tubing of the same size/ga.

And never having to worry about up-keep...

Cheers! :mug:

If it's an electric brewery is it as big of a deal since you don't have to worry about the burners?

Mild steel needs protection against rusting, so it would still need painting.
But you could get away with using inexpensive paint that doesn't require a high temperature curing process as you wouldn't need to worry about heat plumes spilling over the frame...

Cheers!

this has and is serving me well!

brewhemoth.jpg

this has and is serving me well!

I've looked into that some. Right now I'm doing a comparison of cost between welded and strut. The fittings add up pretty fast in strut. If I can get the tubing cheap I've got a welder at work who can weld it up for me. That looks really nice.

Technically wood is still an option for me too. I may drive around the neighborhood this weekend and go through all the scrap piles for the new houses here building.

I've looked into that some. Right now I'm doing a comparison of cost between welded and strut. The fittings add up pretty fast in strut. If I can get the tubing cheap I've got a welder at work who can weld it up for me. That looks really nice.

I'm going to be doing both myself. I was able to score a deal on superstrut when the local Lowes was clearing it out. It was the green powdercoated strut priced at $0.98 per 10' stick. I grabbed all they had - 15 sticks! :ban:

I am going to cut it up and weld it to keep my costs at a minimum, already have a 125 amp welder. Plus with that much strut, I could probably make a few stands if I plan wisely. :mug:

Back