less mess bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerlord

Reaction score
If your anything like me you make a mess bottling. Well, the last time i bottled I open the door of the dishwasher and put my empties on the door and filled them Right there. Any mess is simply cleaned up by closing the door :ban:

Hah! The simplest of ideas... I was thinking of getting a plastic bin to do my filling in so that I can just wash it out instead of mopping the kitchen linoleum, but the dishwasher door idea is outstanding! :p

Thanks for the tip, dude! I don't know if I'd have thought of it myself.

Beerlord said:
If your anything like me you make a mess bottling. Well, the last time i bottled I open the door of the dishwasher and put my empties on the door and filled them Right there. Any mess is simply cleaned up by closing the door :ban:
Thats the way I've always done it. I run the bottles through the dish washer to help clean them and remove labels. Then I can use the dish washer as a dripping rack after sanitizing (I don't trust the heated dry to fully sanitize the bottles and a Vinator is very easy to use). Then I sit down to bottle over the open door of the dish washer.
I found recently it is easier to fill bottles if you cut the hose the attaches to your bottle filler real short (<3") and just push the bottles up onto the filler. Saves your self a free hand if you need it to tip the bucket or move bottles while filling.
Craig

we have a GIANT dog crate that we keep our 2 great danes in and it has a plastic pan on the bottom of it. It's roughly 3' x 4' and has about a 1" lip around the outside of it.

I take it out of the crate, hose it off and dry it, set it on the floor, put 30 22oz bottles on it and fill them. Any spill over is contained by the plastiuc tray and when I'm done I put the bottles on the counter, cap them and then wash the tray off again and I'm all set and done.

I agree the dishwasher is probably easier, but...I'm the dishwasher :)

I use a cooler. I put 32 12 0z bottles in it, and just fill them up. While some are filling I can move the rest in. Filler goes from one bottle right to the next.

I used to do it one bottle at a time. What a pain...

I used to just put a towel down, fill on that, and then toss it in the dirty clothes (maybe after letting it dry off a bit). That worked especially well when I did not have a dishwasher, and it let me spread out a bit more.

TL

Beerlord said:
If your anything like me you make a mess bottling. Well, the last time i bottled I open the door of the dishwasher and put my empties on the door and filled them Right there. Any mess is simply cleaned up by closing the door

I use this method all the time, and its great! The rack makes a great staging / bottle drain and like you said, just close the door when done! :mug:

Back