Less Crushed Grains while using a Drill with the Mill.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todes

Reaction score
Hello, I usually use the mill with my hands, and got goos results in terms of crushed grains, but the last time I use the Drill and I noticed that I got a lost of Uncrushed grains, Is this normal? how can I fix it?

I use a drill exclusively with my mill. I seem to notice uncrushed grains when I go too fast. Otherwise it's very consistent. My efficiency stays at just about 80%

Strong hands! Oh, you mean you cranked by hand. I get it.
Mill speed can definitely affect crush. I have a Corona mill and its crush is susceptible to speed.

yes, my drill doesn´t have different speed settings

Does the rpm change based on how hard you squeeze the trigger? I experianced (using my milwaukee drill) that if i didnt squeeze the trigger near as hard, it would go slower, and while it took me longer to crush the grain, it came out way better.

The other option is to maybe double crush.

My mill is the barley crusher, and my best guess is that at such high speeds, the malt was "jumping" around behind the rollers and falling to the catcher, where as going slower prevents that. When i finally got around to building a table and motorizing my mill, i reduced the speed via pulleys down to about 180rpm, and i still get a few uncrushed grains, but not near as much, and its usually only when the hopper is very low in quatity that it happens.

Latest posts

Back